Would these chips be worth trying to recover the gold from?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was that from one kilo of chips ?

If I remember correctly Kurtak said they should contain about 9 grams per kilo, where are you thinking that you can squeeze a little more from, solution, solids ?

Either way the gold that you did get looks great and thank you for sharing about these !!!

Also are you considering refining the rest of the 500 kilos ?
Yes he did say 9 grams, this was my first attempt at it so wasn't the smoothest of runs I think I lost a little in some sludge but next time will yield better results. To answer the second question, yes definitely considering it also considering trying to source a constant supply of e-scrap.

I'm sure after a few tries you will have it down lol.
Not sure about you but 500 kilos would keep me busy for a while so I would secure those and then focus on finding a supply of material.
That is if you are getting them cheap enough to make a good profit !!!

I'm sure after a few tries you will have it down lol.
Not sure about you but 500 kilos would keep me busy for a while so I would secure those and then focus on finding a supply of material.
That is if you are getting them cheap enough to make a good profit !!!
Definitely lol, but yeah will take some time to process. Cost seems to be the main thing, but around where I live the e-scrap is an easier source than carat scrap at good prices.

Why do you guys suggest the gold bonding wires are incased in the epoxy? The ones of done they are right under a fiberglass sheet on the black epoxy. I get hit it a torch of a sec and then just wipe off the bond wires. I’ve burnt the epoxy square and there was nothing in it. I think it’s more of a heat sink.

Why do you guys suggest the gold bonding wires are incased in the epoxy? The ones of done they are right under a fiberglass sheet on the black epoxy. I get hit it a torch of a sec and then just wipe off the bond wires. I’ve burnt the epoxy square and there was nothing in it. I think it’s more of a heat sink.
I do not know what kind of chips you have, but there is no bond wires on the surface of any chips.
The epoxy mix is used as a protection for the chip assembly so nothing moves or are mechanically damaged.
We need to burn off all the volatiles and then crush burn and sift before gravity separating.
A single strand of bond wire is almost invisible.

Why do you guys suggest the gold bonding wires are incased in the epoxy?

If you are talking about the black epoxy part of the BGA chips like in the pic of the first post in this thread then it is not just a suggestion that the bond wires are "incased" IN that black epoxy - it is a matter of FACT that, that is where the gold bond wires are

And how do I know that to be A FACT ?

Because when I was refining for "a living" I processed batches of those chips in batches ranging from as small as 5 pounds to as large as 30 pound & I can tell you for A FACT that the VAST MAJORITY of the gold in those BGA chips is the bond wires "incased" in that black epoxy part of those chips
I’ve burnt the epoxy square and there was nothing in it.

Then you are ether doing something VERY wrong &/or you have no clue what you are even looking for
The ones of done they are right under a fiberglass sheet on the black epoxy

Those are NOT the bonding wires - those are copper leads that are sandwiched between the green fiber part of the chip & the black epoxy part of the chip - which are gold plated - the gold plating in those copper leads add up to VERY LITTLE of the gold that is in those chips

The VAST MAJORITY of the gold is the gold bond wires that are INCASED in the black epoxy

If you do not burn that black epoxy part if the chip to "complete" carbon &/or ash & crush them to "fine" powder to liberate the bond wires that is "incased" in the epoxy you are losing MOST of the gold

In other words - if all you do is only hit them with a torch - just enough to loosen the gold plated copper leads on the bottom of the black epoxy - so that you can "wipe" those leads off - it will take you about (plus/minus) 10 pounds of those chips to get about (plus/minus) 1 gram gold

On the other hand - if you burn the black epoxy to "complete" carbon/ash - & then crush them to "fine" powder to "liberate" the bond wires you will get (plus/minus) right at 4 grams per pound - which means you will get right at (plus/minus) 40 grams per 10 pounds

I can say this for "a fact" because over the course of 10 years I probably processed 500 - 600 pounds of those chip in 5 - 30 pound batches at a time

Kurt

Latest posts

Back