A quick question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drowningbodacius

hi again everybody.
the question is this, i've noticed in Sam' tutorial (Goldnscrap.com) on pin recovery he boils the pins in HCL acid to dissolve the base metals (kovar).
now what im wondering is can you also do this in Muratic acid? i know its basically the same other then a few more contaminents present in the Muratic acid that are not present in HCL. could the extra contaminents give me negative results or what?

your thoughhts on this would be most appreciated and good luck to all on scrapping out there

Im not an expert but I'm pretty sure people use muriatic acid in place of hcl. To my knowledge I don't think there's too much of a diffrence. I'm sure one of the forum members will chime in if I'm wrong.

Drowningbodacius said:
oh ok i knew that you can use muratic acid in places of hcl but i was wondering if the process would yeild different results.

thanks for clearing it up for me Pimpneightez

That is actually a good question, you want to know if one has a better yield than another.

Muratic Acid is what is commonly used for cleaning brick or adding to your swimming pool. It's the industrial use name, hydrochloric is more commonly used in applications that are more sensitive. Muratic is also the older name for Hydrochloric. For our purposes in today's world you can view them as thus. Muratic acid has more impurities than Hydrochloric acid does. It's just that simple. So although it will not directly affect how much gold is precipitated out of solution, it will make a difference if you are trying to produce anything with extreme high purity. But if you are just refining to industry standard, Muratic works just fine without any issues that I have come across. I don't purchase Muratic anymore because there really is no price difference between the two where I live.

Scott

its much like the difference between tap water and distilled water. Harold has stated that in all of his refining, he used tap water and never had any trouble with it. muriatic acid and hcl is one and the same. muriatic acid is the industrial name given a long time ago and its still used today. the trace impurities will not effect your refining. most muriatic acid is a very light yellow color, this is decomposition and does not effect the way it works.when you open the bottle, it will have an aluminum disk under the cap.this is a safety barrier to absorb any fumes that escape the container before use. the disk does not stay with the lid. remove the disk and clean any aluminum oxide from the top of the container before removing the plastic safety seal.

Drowningbodacius

As said, Muriatic and Hydrochloric acid are one of the same.
But you do need to pay attantion to the ingredient list if you buy "Muriatic acid" branded product as it may very well contain detergents and/or inhibitors.
inhibitors, as the name suggest, will hinder the dissolution/corrosion of metals by forming a thin metal oxide barrier on the surface to the metal.

Even when you buy some regular tech grade Hydrochloric acid, it may be yellowish due to iron contamination from the tanker truck SS container.
For example, when i buy my HCl, sometimes it is colorless as water and fuming and sometimes it looks like piss and smell horrible. Just depends on which point of its route the truck arrived to my supplier. Eiter way, the acid works the same.

Latest posts

Back