About scrap spark plugs and PGM content

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeRKaN PGM HuNTeR

Hello Refinery Community,

I have been conducting research on PGM (Platinum Group Metals) for quite some time. However, due to the lack of continuity in my work, I am facing difficulties in finding materials. Due to the presence of catalytic catalysts on the black market in the region, I had to change my strategy and I am currently considering shifting my focus to spark plugs. However, I have encountered an issue: Not every spark plug contains PGM group metals. According to rumors, the PGM group metals contained in spark plugs are expressed with specific numbers and codes. At this point, I would like to seek information from you, esteemed forum members, to learn more about the PGM metals in spark plugs. If anyone has knowledge on this matter, could you please enlighten me on which spark plug numbers and codes indicate the presence of PGM? I am particularly interested in considering these numbers and codes when purchasing scrap spark plugs to determine the metals they contain. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Best J

Not every spark plug contains PGM group metals. According to rumors, the PGM group metals contained in spark plugs are expressed with specific numbers and codes.

Some plugs will say on the ceramic what PGM's it will have, but some do not say. Looking close at the plug tips you can usually tell which ones have PGM's....if they haven't burnt away.

I probably should add for clarification...some spark plugs don't contain any PGM's at all.

However, I would be very happy if someone shares the codes for these spark plugs because I don't want to buy unnecessary items or be ripped off by a scrap dealer. I am sure there are people in my country who know these codes, but I think they're justified in not sharing them to prevent this product from ending up on the black market. That's why I need information from across continents

However, I would be very happy if someone shares the codes for these spark plugs because I don't want to buy unnecessary items or be ripped off by a scrap dealer. I am sure there are people in my country who know these codes, but I think they're justified in not sharing them to prevent this product from ending up on the black market. That's why I need information from across continents
I'd start by studying the Bosch, NGK etc parts list on spark plugs.
As far as I know the only PGM used in spark plugs was Iridium in high performance motors so they are quite rare.

Many older types here do contain some precious metals, but ammount is teeny tiny. Dismantling is very tedious, as it has been already said. I had some Pt alloy dot plugs in hand, but many simply do not have any. Look for small "dots" of metal in between the electrodes. This is usually some PM alloy.

The local car scrapyard probably has hundreds of plugs just laying on the ground. Cost?...who knows, the one we used to have here would charge for every plug, broken or not. It was the type of place that if you brought a hand full of broken glass to the cashier, they charge you for a windshield.

Most Ford vehicles from the 1990 era to present require double platinum spark plugs and I have owned everything from the 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, 8 cylinder gas engines.
Nowadays there's a lot of iridium plugs on the market that meets the specifications to be used in the Ford gas engines.

Hello Refinery Community,

I have been conducting research on PGM (Platinum Group Metals) for quite some time. However, due to the lack of continuity in my work, I am facing difficulties in finding materials. Due to the presence of catalytic catalysts on the black market in the region, I had to change my strategy and I am currently considering shifting my focus to spark plugs. However, I have encountered an issue: Not every spark plug contains PGM group metals. According to rumors, the PGM group metals contained in spark plugs are expressed with specific numbers and codes. At this point, I would like to seek information from you, esteemed forum members, to learn more about the PGM metals in spark plugs. If anyone has knowledge on this matter, could you please enlighten me on which spark plug numbers and codes indicate the presence of PGM? I am particularly interested in considering these numbers and codes when purchasing scrap spark plugs to determine the metals they contain. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Best J
Hello Golddigger76, All Spark plugs have a some form of Copper Electrode, It has to have a very high melting point because of the heat generated at the Spark. So this copper is alloyed with Palladium. 2 parts on the Spark Plug that have recycle valve are : copper electrode 1Gram, Pure Nickel electrode 1 Gram so I give you the task of converting this into Cash. My saturated hydrochloric acid, copper leach contains 0.045 Gram per Liter. Have Fun!

The vast majority of aircraft internal combustion engines have platinum iridium spark plugs, many of these engines have 2 spark plugs per cylinder and each spark plug has 2 electrodes.

Latest posts

Back