Abouth Formic Acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoke27

Hi

I would like to benefit from your experience with formic acid.

After treating the nitric acid solution with KOH, filtering the resulting dust and dissolving it in HCl,
I added some formic aist to it and boiled it for a long time, and the red pinkish powder in the pictures accumulated at the bottom of the beaker.

in solution according to the XRF result of the material before the process
I'm guessing it's rhenium, iron, bismuth lead

Does anyone know what this item might be?

Attachments

• 20200909_142041.jpg
    20200909_142041.jpg
    394.8 KB
  • 20200909_214042.jpg
    20200909_214042.jpg
    392.8 KB
  • 20200910_182713.jpg
    20200910_182713.jpg
    396.2 KB
UGH? What was the precious metals bearing material you started with? Moon rocks? Karat jewellery? Computer parts? Or what. I once did see a "RED" reaction, but that was to some very old military circuit boards that the solder certainly had lead (Pb) in it. That is why old barns are red, lead oxide paint...

Formic acid reduces oxides to metal. You were okay until you added HCl. Where did you read to do that? I assume it is palladium.
After you filter the pregnant solution, you add sodium hydroxide to neutralize the acid and convert the palladium salt to palladium oxide. Now this is where it is the most dangerous. Add the, now rinsed, palladium oxide to a large beaker. Depending on amount of salt, add enough distilled water to cover the salt and heat to 120°F. Once the salt has reached temp, add the formic acid in very small amounts while stirring. 1 -2 ml's at a time. The reaction will be vigorous. If there is not a reaction when you make the first addition, increase heat slightly and wait for the reaction to start. Do not add more until the first addition reacts. The process is finished when you make an addition and there is no reaction. Let the reaction stop from the last addition before adding more.
Formic acid has a 3 on the safety triangle. Palladium and other PGM metals is toxic and poisonous when it is dissolved. These two things together is not something to play around with. Two past members from this forum, that I know of, has passed away from ailments that was exacerbated by exposure of these salts. Do some studying before you proceed.

Geo said:
Formic acid reduces oxides to metal. You were okay until you added HCl. Where did you read to do that? I assume it is palladium.
After you filter the pregnant solution, you add sodium hydroxide to neutralize the acid and convert the palladium salt to palladium oxide. Now this is where it is the most dangerous. Add the, now rinsed, palladium oxide to a large beaker. Depending on amount of salt, add enough distilled water to cover the salt and heat to 120°F. Once the salt has reached temp, add the formic acid in very small amounts while stirring. 1 -2 ml's at a time. The reaction will be vigorous. If there is not a reaction when you make the first addition, increase heat slightly and wait for the reaction to start. Do not add more until the first addition reacts. The process is finished when you make an addition and there is no reaction. Let the reaction stop from the last addition before adding more.
Formic acid has a 3 on the safety triangle. Palladium and other PGM metals is toxic and poisonous when it is dissolved. These two things together is not something to play around with. Two past members from this forum, that I know of, has passed away from ailments that was exacerbated by exposure of these salts. Do some studying before you proceed.

ty Jeff that was last year.. I dont play with that I use HCL cuz if you have Silver, or leaad to turn it chloride .. maybe true way or not..

Latest posts

Back