Absolute newbie - with high grade ore

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLiberty

I am a vary busy man. I have two teenage kids, who live with me full time.
I am a single dad. One of my hobbies is rockhounding and prospecting. The hobby runs in my family.

I came to inherit an family heirlom, to wit; a Great Uncle's rock collection. One of the specimens is Crystalline, ( I think mostly rhyolite) with veins of what is unmistakeable a soft, heavy, malleable shiny yellow metal. By careful dissemination with dental picks and a chisel, I have accumulated (so far) about 2 oz of gold dust, along with rather small bits and pieces of the crystal. Also a much smaller quantity chalky grey metal, possibly a PGP metal. In addition there is a good chance of silver content. All mixed together. Unable to find a commmercial smelter who will accept what is essentially high grade ore sands, I find myself compelled to refine the gold myself. I am apprehensive; it seems the chemicals used to make Aqua Regia and the preciptiate the gold, are quite hazardous. I do believe I am capable, but never having done this I at least would like some close advice. While at some point in the near future I will have space to set up small refining, that time is not now. I have a rather large sample still left to pick over, and have an immediate need for cash flow. So, in the short - If any other forum memebers are close to Portland Or, USA and have lab equipment, acids, precipitates, etc I will give you 15% of whatever we can refine, plus cost of chemicals, for you to show me how to do it safely...

you will find all the information you need here on the forum to put you at ease with the processes. start with this free download http://tinyurl.com/mfnyhs its C.M.Hoke's book "refining precious metal waste". it is a guideline book for the common man with instructions written for people with no formal chemistry education.

the question anyone and most everyone will ask is: how do you know you have gold? do you have an assay? if not, why not? if its worth refining then it should be worth knowing what you have. read Hoke's book. learn to test for gold and that way you will know IF you have gold and then we can help you to refine it.

Depends on what you have, a photo would be nice. Your sample may be worth more to a collector or jewelry maker than the recovered metals contained.

Latest posts

Back