Accomplished nothing so far

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very frustrating final step setback last nite. I had gold powder. I had a glazed crucible, a MAPP gas torch, borax flux and sodium carbonate. I managed to melt the material to a red hot liquid form. But, whenever I’d sprinkle the sodium carbonate, the gold would not coalesce into a bb or button. 🤷‍♂️ After cool down, there was visible gold through out the product. The material seemed more like hard graphite with gold throughout instead of metal. I washed it with dilute sulphuric. That step produced no noticeable change. I was obviously disappointed, So I crushed the material back to a fine powder with my mortar and pestal. Apparently about half of what I began with was incinerated in the process. I have more gold bearing material to add, if need be. This effort was a trial with a relatively small amount of precipitated and dried gold material. What should I do to make the gold content coalesce and form a bb or button? Thank you in advance for your help and advice. 🤔
One good thing to do is to chrush the Sodium Carbonate with your mortar and pestle, cause they don’t mix so well in that “prilled” form😉.

I only use borax to glaze the new crucible when melting gold. Does often not need any borax with a good glazed crucible, that you ONLY use for gold.

With melting silver I use 2 parts of Sodium Carbonate (as powder) and 1 part borax mixed together, when it needs. And in its OWN crucible 🙂
/Dennis

Excellent idea on pulverizing the sodium carbonate. 👍 I did pre-glaze my crucible with borax till it had sort of a clear film on it. I also sat it atop a larger crucible when melting which seemed to help hold heat. ty

Excellent idea on pulverizing the sodium carbonate. 👍 I did pre-glaze my crucible with borax till it had sort of a clear film on it. I also sat it atop a larger crucible when melting which seemed to help hold heat. ty
It really depends on what you are melting, to decide if a flux is needed. Concentrates from ores will need fluxes, jewelry sweeps can use some fluxes, depending on their makeup, but reasonably clean metallic Au shouldn't need any, other than a pinch of Borax, if a little dirty.

IF everything goes well, I’m planning to attempt another gold drop and maybe melt tonite from waste products. I have filtered solution recovered from previous waste that samples test positive for gold. The filtered out sludge has been washed in concentrated HCL with 3ml of sulphuric and then several times with hot water. I’ll give it a nitric bath to remove any remnants of silver and copper. And then see what it melts into… wish me luck!

IF everything goes well, I’m planning to attempt another gold drop and maybe melt tonite from waste products. I have filtered solution recovered from previous waste that samples test positive for gold. The filtered out sludge has been washed in concentrated HCL with 3ml of sulphuric and then several times with hot water. I’ll give it a nitric bath to remove any remnants of silver and copper. And then see what it melts into… wish me luck!
What are you washing?
The filtered Gold from precipitation?
Your description was not clear.

Or... You could take your "sludge" and try to refine it.

I'll be honest, even if it seems cruel. I stopped posting, and pretty much lost interest, on this thread because it didn't seem to help. You've been all over the place, and you don't really seem to take anyone's advice.

Now, you have filtered solution from previous waste that tests positive for gold. You have filtered out sludge that has been washed in concentrated HCl and sulfuric, then water. You're going to give something a nitric bath. And then see what it melts into. What are you melting? The solution? The sludge? The washes? I just can't understand what you're doing.

Edwin, you tell us about your Gilbert chemistry sets as a child. Yes, I had them too, along with Lionel Porter and anything else I could get my hands on. They didn't tech me a thing about lab safety or dealing with precious metals. You've told us about your background in the nuclear industry. Is this how you approached that work? Just kind of flailing about, trying this and that, and seeing what happens?

As I said, I know this probably sounds cruel, but I don't see you studying this forum and learning anything. I spent a year and a half reading every post on this forum before I started experimenting based on what I've learned. You've been here for about a month and a half and you're going to try melting... I don't know what.

I just don't know how to really try to help you.

Dave

I spent a year and a half reading every post on this forum before I started experimenting based on what I've learned.
Following that lead will answer questions that haven’t even entered your mind yet. And for those who think that is a long time, it really isn’t. I had material for over eight years before even finding a place that could help me learn how to recover the values from it properly and safely. I still have a box from that original material and know how to recover the gold, one day I may actually do it.

Or... You could take your "sludge" and try to refine it.

I'll be honest, even if it seems cruel. I stopped posting, and pretty much lost interest, on this thread because it didn't seem to help. You've been all over the place, and you don't really seem to take anyone's advice.

Now, you have filtered solution from previous waste that tests positive for gold. You have filtered out sludge that has been washed in concentrated HCl and sulfuric, then water. You're going to give something a nitric bath. And then see what it melts into. What are you melting? The solution? The sludge? The washes? I just can't understand what you're doing.

Edwin, you tell us about your Gilbert chemistry sets as a child. Yes, I had them too, along with Lionel Porter and anything else I could get my hands on. They didn't tech me a thing about lab safety or dealing with precious metals. You've told us about your background in the nuclear industry. Is this how you approached that work? Just kind of flailing about, trying this and that, and seeing what happens?

As I said, I know this probably sounds cruel, but I don't see you studying this forum and learning anything. I spent a year and a half reading every post on this forum before I started experimenting based on what I've learned. You've been here for about a month and a half and you're going to try melting... I don't know what.

I just don't know how to really try to help you.

Dave
You won’t hurt my feelings, Dave. I don’t have any when it comes to technical issues. Please don’t feel obligated to read anything else I write, if I choose to do so, on this forum. The same goes for anyone else not interested in my updates. I’ve constantly received conflicting advice from members about many issues. Most of you “experts” don’t agree on everything either. And, this forum tends to take the “my way or the highway” approach. No wonder there are so few supporting members. A little respect would go a long way rather than lectures and condemnation. I hope I’m not being to “cruel” in this frank assessment. Thank you for your time.

One good thing to do is to chrush the Sodium Carbonate with your mortar and pestle, cause they don’t mix so well in that “prilled” form😉.

I only use borax to glaze the new crucible when melting gold. Does often not need any borax with a good glazed crucible, that you ONLY use for gold.

With melting silver I use 2 parts of Sodium Carbonate (as powder) and 1 part borax mixed together, when it needs. And in its OWN crucible 🙂
/Dennis
Thank you very much for your help and advice, good sir. You have been quite helpful. But, I may not be posting on this forum any longer.

Per the bold print:
Don't you think this substance needs some warnings before you advise a beginning chemist / refiner to use it?
Any precautions to mention, sir?
Info from the from the msds:
Material reacts vigorously with water emitting flammable gases,Violent reaction with: strong oxidiser, Alcohols, Metal powder, Phenol, Acids, Sulphuric acid, Hydrogen peroxide,=> Explosive properties

Please think about what you are advising!!!!
And I have not even mentioned the health issues with this product.

@Edwin, please don't consider this option...! stay alive.

edited for spelling

You won’t hurt my feelings, Dave. I don’t have any when it comes to technical issues. Please don’t feel obligated to read anything else I write, if I choose to do so, on this forum. The same goes for anyone else not interested in my updates. I’ve constantly received conflicting advice from members about many issues. Most of you “experts” don’t agree on everything either. And, this forum tends to take the “my way or the highway” approach. No wonder there are so few supporting members. A little respect would go a long way rather than lectures and condemnation. I hope I’m not being to “cruel” in this frank assessment. Thank you for your time.
Respect is earned by merit.

Indeed. Works both ways…
Edwin, you could have been Einstein's teacher before you came here, for all we know.
What ever merits you have beyond this forum do not count for other than the promise of learning and picking up information.
You have so far not proven that you deserve much more respect than anyone else new.

Mind you I'm from a culture that have no institutional respect in the language, no Sir, Maam or similar.
So if it is the "Sir" you miss I can fix that, but it will not be more than a lingual quirk.

Edit to add:
Have you even read the material we gave you?
And then I mean to the level that you actually understand it?

Last edited:
Edwin, you could have been Einstein's teacher before you came here, for all we know.
What ever merits you have beyond this forum do not count for other than the promise of learning and picking up information.
You have so far not proven that you deserve much more respect than anyone else new.

Mind you I'm from a culture that have no institutional respect in the language, no Sir, Maam or similar.
So if it is the "Sir" you miss I can fix that, but it will not be more than a lingual quirk.

Edit to add:
Have you even read the material we gave you?
And then I mean to the level that you actually understand it?
Interesting thing is that I genuinely don’t care what this forum thinks about me. I came here to get some questions answered, not to accept assignments or to prove myself to anyone. At my own discretion I have read many threads and links. Some people on here, generally just average members, have been a great help and are appreciated. Other members have been critical, disrespectful and provided practically no useful info. I can certainly return the favor. I have advised Nugget of my perspective and opinion of this forum. Tonight, I accomplished, on a small scale recovering actual gold from e-waste. I have a gold drop in progress overnight. Now that I know the rudimentary process and procedure, I will expand on and ultimately excel at it. And fortunately, I have a virtually unlimited supply of source material that costs me zero dollars.

Interesting thing is that I genuinely don’t care what this forum thinks about me. I came here to get some questions answered, not to accept assignments or to prove myself to anyone. At my own discretion I have read many threads and links. Some people on here, generally just average members, have been a great help and are appreciated. Other members have been critical, disrespectful and provided practically no useful info. I can certainly return the favor. I have advised Nugget of my perspective and opinion of this forum. Tonight, I accomplished, on a small scale recovering actual gold from e-waste. I have a gold drop in progress overnight. Now that I know the rudimentary process and procedure, I will expand on and ultimately excel at it. And fortunately, I have a virtually unlimited supply of source material that costs me zero dollars.
There has been no other assignments than to study so you can help yourself.

Anyway good luck to you.

We have a lot of experience in refining, but also in guiding new members that usually underestimate this craft and the related dangers.
Some are extremely ignorant, some only need to be shown some links or the search function and excell at everthing.

On safety we really are harsh and unforgiving. Not just for youself, but everything around you, and to make sure we as a forum don't give poor advice that potentially could hurt someone or nature and be irreversible.

Some replies are generalized, some personalized. And some folk are fed up with pampering another new guy asking the same old questions we have been answering for years.
Hence the advice 'go read Hoke ten times'...

It's our differences that make this collective great imo.

I love this forum.

Just a perspective from all the years I have used this forum……

Why is it that when new people come here they want answers, some even demand them, but never seem willing to answer the questions ask of them, some even become defensive and aggressive toward those trying to help them. Almost every one of them starts with something along the lines of “I messed up, now what”? This is why I tend to say “it is easier to avoid a mess than fix one”.
Back to reading now…..

Back