Accomplished nothing so far

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It may be the lighting, but in the first picture looks like nice pure gold, the second like mud.
😂 I guess it could be either. I’ll find out when I melt it. There’s 14 grams of powder that precipitated from the solution via ferrous sulfate. It had many washes with water after nitric and sulfuric were used to remove any silver, copper and lead. The solutions the powder came from definitely tested positive for gold with stannous chloride. I’ll be happy to get a tiny fraction of gold here. ty

😂 I guess it could be either. I’ll find out when I melt it. There’s 14 grams of powder that precipitated from the solution via ferrous sulfate. It had many washes with water after nitric and sulfuric were used to remove any silver, copper and lead. The solutions the powder came from definitely tested positive for gold with stannous chloride. I’ll be happy to get a tiny fraction of gold here. ty
Looks like you are improving on recovery. That will be half an ounce or more there i guess Can't wait to see the button. 👍

Ok. I definitely intend to get a clear glaze of melted borax on that Gusswein crucible. Why no sprinkle of borax? I thought it helped in the melting process. But I can work without it. ty
From what I understand from the readings, borax is great for removing material other than gold. At the point it seems you are at, it doesn't add value as your gold is already "pure". If you're looking to get three to four 9's pure (if it isn't already), then dissolving and precipitating again would do that.

Im sure someone more experienced would be able to correct me if I'm wrong and give you a better answer.

From what I understand from the readings, borax is great for removing material other than gold. At the point it seems you are at, it doesn't add value as your gold is already "pure". If you're looking to get three to four 9's pure (if it isn't already), then dissolving and precipitating again would do that.

Im sure someone more experienced would be able to correct me if I'm wrong and give you a better answer.
We always use glazed melting dishes, but no Borax on it when melting pure metals.

Ok. I definitely intend to get a clear glaze of melted borax on that Gusswein crucible. Why no sprinkle of borax? I thought it helped in the melting process. But I can work without it. ty
Please Edwin, get your names corrected it is Gesswein

Latest posts

Back