Acid / Bleach AKA Chlorox - Substitute

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty

My whole yard smells like a public swimming pool that had an overdose of chlorine.

My first attempt of using the acid bleach method, started out using chlorox. When I seen that the amount of liquids was rapidly increasing decided to use a dairy product which contains 12% sodium hypochlorite.

This is a very powerful bleach concentrate, if you decide to use it use with ex stream caution, skin contact will cause serious burns so wear full protective clothing along with eye protection.

On the up-side it works much better than plain old Chlorox.

I have used dry sodium hyplochlorite and you don't end up with as much solution to deal with. If you want to try some of that let me know ad I will add it to your care package. 8)

Barren Realms 007 said:
I have used dry sodium hyplochlorite and you don't end up with as much solution to deal with. If you want to try some of that let me know ad I will add it to your care package. 8)

The smallest lot of the dry sodium hyplochlorite I could find in Canada was by the keg, something like 100 lbs. So yea I wouldn't mind a few pounds if you can spare it.

rusty said:
Barren Realms 007 said:

The smallest lot of the dry sodium hyplochlorite I could find in Canada was by the keg, something like 100 lbs. So yea I wouldn't mind a few pounds if you can spare it.

No problem, i'll get you some. I'm also going to send you some solder so you can make you some stannus chloride so you an test with.

Barren Realms 007 said:
rusty said:
Barren Realms 007 said:

No problem, i'll get you some. I'm also going to send you some solder so you can make you some stannus chloride so you an test with.

Thanks Barren, I've got a tin ingot that I purchased from Canada Metals who also have a US presence.http://www.canadametal.com/

rusty said:
Barren Realms 007 said:
rusty said:
Barren Realms 007 said:

Thanks Barren, I've got a tin ingot that I purchased from Canada Metals who also have a US presence.http://www.canadametal.com/

Ok excellent I'll strike the solder off the list.

Rusty, after adding the bleach, are you letting it sit and react awhile before adding more? it takes a good 10 minutes after adding a dose before you should add more.when i first started using it, i thought that if i didnt see it bubbling then it wasnt reacting. now i know that as long as you can smell chlorine, it is dissolving metal.

Geo said:
Rusty, after adding the bleach, are you letting it sit and react awhile before adding more? it takes a good 10 minutes after adding a dose before you should add more.when i first started using it, i thought that if i didnt see it bubbling then it wasnt reacting. now i know that as long as you can smell chlorine, it is dissolving metal.

Sometimes the pail sat an hour or more before bleach additions, when I added the 12% Dairy bleach had to stir like crazy to break up the bubble formation to keep it from foaming over the top of the pail.

I think the reaction is near done, but planning to add a few more concentrates later this afternoon, I've been elected to go shopping.

The 20 liter pail is 2/3rds full.

Attachments

• 100_7323.JPG
    100_7323.JPG
    618.8 KB · Views: 180

Latest posts

Back