Activated Carbon used in complex soultion

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIZZARD

I have used coconut AC to test solutions just to see what it will pick up. Dried and ignited in open air with stainless spoons. Most of the time the color and texture of the residue after bringing to cherry red and cooling is a very red/brown color. Sometimes it is very gray residue. When placing Dh2O in the spoon some values go into solution when boiling it leaves a very PM looking residue. when placing a second spoon over the first the vapor cough on the second spoon is very Pm looking as well. Couple of parts to my positing. Why will the PM's flash? and could the very red residue be Rh? If Rh, will the boiling in sulfuric work to place the Rh in a recoverable condition?

2spns.jpg

Propane was the ignition source, however will a hydrogen or oxygen flame make a difference?

WIZZARD

What is "PM looking"?
Blue hue is from stainless transformation

Sorry I did not do a good job asking my AC question, nor did I post a better picture relating to solutions eluded from loaded AC vs. ignition.

I'm sure a little transfer of the surface has taken place, but this residue is very thick.

The eluded solution drops yellow salts after ammonium chloride and are very Pt salts in color and gray sponge is the remain residue from ignition, I'll take some more pictures, next time. However I'm more interesting in learning how to selectively remove Pt from complex solution contains PGM's. Some of my salts are more orange and even red?

yellow3.jpg

Pt spoon.JPG

Sorry about the spoon coming up twice, I could not adjust it back..

WIZZARD

Attachments

• layer.jpg
    layer.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 188
may be of nickel if readily dissolves in water

Very little nickel in ore to start with. This was ore roasted with salt base and made most of the junk oxides, and converted the goodies to be very soluble in HCL. AC was added to diluted solution and CIP, AC coconut 3/16xx12 stuff was used. Eluded AC with boiling HCL/Chlorine/Bromine solution 4 times, boiled down to 1/2 volume, added ammonium chloride to get salts.............The spoon was the residue solution from the eluding solution and ignited just to get an idea of what the metal residue would look like from the solution. Yep some spoon surface too, but that much residue indicated a lot of metal of some kind, cementation is taking place at first.

The salts drop with all those colors may be Pt yellow, orange Pt/Pd/Ir?, when filtered, and rinsed with ammonium chloride water, and ignited turn up gray, gray, gray sponge. O yeah, not to mention the solutions during boiling would go yellow, dark green, black, silvery, white smoke until the brown smoke started, then full red heat the brown would go, and the residue would be very silvery metal on top and reddish/brown under the crust, no silver present. Very little of the residue on spoon will go back into solution with HCL.

Sorry this was done a few years ago, I should do a new one to show a controlled test......I might do that soon. I'm now using Ion Exchange resin, however I'm always looking for better ways to keep the white smoke to a minimum. Let's see a long blow pipe, with hydrogen for reduction then oxygen to reduce the carbon to CO2, first the AC should be stabilized with oxalic solution, but then your back to the smoke.......? I would like a black box to pore ore in one end and NM in bars out the other>>>>>>>>>stamped and all .9999.

WIZZARD

Latest posts

Back