AFTER THE AP STEP I GOT A QUESTION

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waynaughty

First off thank you for having such a great knowledge base the average man can read and understand .. OK iv done the AP step and straining the pin leftovers ,, do i flush with new Muriatic acid or use what i strained out all ready? and after i filter everything left in the filter is gold or everything that is in the liquid is the gold? sorry but i want to make sure before i get to far ahead and i make a hiccup into a small disaster

Whenever you process any material it's good advice to clean the resulting residues,in your case the foils, and I'd advise using fresh hydrochloric and some heat to remove as much base metal as possible, the cleaner the starting material is the better the final refined product will be. Make sure you test your AP with stannous, which can be reused,and all solutions from the processing before safely disposing of, it's good practice and should become second nature, should your AP have some gold dissolved in it then just reuse it and it will cement out as black powders in the next batch you process, the beauty of AP is it can be used almost indefinitely with a little attention.
Good luck and keep the forum posted on your progress.

waynaughty,

Welcome to the Gold Refining Forum! We are glad to have you here. This forum contains some of the most experienced and knowledgeable members when it comes to refining precious metals from various forms of stock. This is a self help forum. What that means is there is a bit of self education required before the seasoned members here are more interested in helping you with questions and guidance. Below is a checklist that should be completed for your safety, the safety of those around you and property.

1. I would recommend you stop everything you are doing and read Refining Precious Metal Wastes by C.M. Hoke. Below is a link to a thread, here in our forum, where you can download a free copy.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2815953/Refining-Precious-Metal-Wastes-C-M-Hoke
Reference the post by one of our most knowledgeable members, "jimdoc"

jimdoc

2. You should perform the acquaintance experiments Ms. Hoke instructs, to better familiarize yourself with the different type of reactions different metals have with different acids and temperatures. However, before performing any exercise, review the MSDS Sheet for each acid in the exercise.

3. I would learn what the scientific names are for different acids. For instance, you should learn that Hydrogen Peroxide is also known as H2O2. Also learn the chemical symbols for different elements like Platinum, which is also known as Pt.

Once all of the above have been completed, you should then thoroughly go through the Welcome Tutorial thread located at the link below AND read through all the sections of the forum, in its entirety:

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=6873#6873

Our seasoned members here will know if you have done your homework and know the material from Hoke's book, Refining Precious Metals Wastes. Their willingness to help you greatly depends on their belief that you have successfully completed all of the above.

We are glad to have you!

Latest posts

Back