Aluminum usage for Pd nitrate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the stannous chloride test is not positive? for palladium
Very strange method of testing with stannous. Wasteful in my opinion - one drop is enough to see the colouration. It seems either you have very very big ammount of excess nitric in solution, or the stannous chloride you use is very weak. Colour is certainly PM looking for the first glance, but that is no proof of anything. I would suggest try to test with DMG - that is very robust test for Pd.

Formate reduction works also on nitric solutions and if done right, produces very nice heavy Pd precipitate. No need to denox, that would be a nightmare to do with nitric solution :)
You can also neutralize the excess free nitric to positive pH value with NaOH and then use DMG.

I have no idea, did you post one?
The spoon is not positive since it is plain yellow.
The videos do not show for me.
You have still not told where it came from, electronics or what.

Edit the apperance on Phone and PC are different

Last edited:
The test is as Orvi stated wasteful and not readable due to surplus Nitric.
Better use a cotton bud or a piece of paper.
Or even better DMG but it might be hard to get.
We NEED to know how you made the AR and we NEED to know what went into solution if we are to give advice.
Both will dictate what have to be done next.

First a few things, have you read C.M. Hokes book?
And have you studied the safety and dealing with waste sections in the forum?

hello greetings, yes my tin solution is weak, that's why the reaction also doesn't last that long, also the AR is 3 of nitric with 1 of hydrochloric, I don't have access to DMG, C.M. Hokes book I'm on it, yes I have studied safety and waste management.
Today I set up a cementation platform with copper as indicated at the beginning with a bubbler. copper is what makes it easier for me to get where I am. Thank you very much for your instructions.

View attachment WhatsApp Video 2022-12-28 at 3.12.12 PM.mp4
View attachment WhatsApp Video 2022-12-28 at 4.14.00 PM.mp4

Last edited:
hello greetings, yes my tin solution is weak, that's why the reaction also doesn't last that long, also the AR is 3 of nitric with 1 of hydrochloric, I don't have access to DMG, C.M. Hokes book I'm on it, yes I have studied safety and waste management.
Today I set up a cementation platform with copper as indicated at the beginning with a bubbler. copper is what makes it easier for me to get where I am. Thank you very much for your instructions.

View attachment 53900
View attachment 53901
After being on this forum for 6 months you should already have learned that that is not the proper way of creating AR.
You still have not informed us about what material you have collected the assumed Pd from.
This may be important with respect to which contaminants it may or may not contain.
You can compare it to getting into a taxi and order the driver to take you home without telling where you live.
So please, what material have been dissolved.

Latest posts

Back