Ammonium Chloride - What Grade is needed for refining?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kadriver

I am starting to stock up on some chemicals to begin recovering platinum and palladium from my silver cell slims and a catalytic converter or two.

I would like to buy some ammonium chloride and some sodium chlorate.

As a beginner, I would like to get recommendations from the forum as to what grades of these chemicals should be purchased (reagent, lab grade, food grade, purity, etc)?

What quantities of these chemicals should be aquired initially?

Where is the best source of supply? Is there a local source such as Lowes, Pool Suppliers or Ace Hardware Stores where some of these chemicals may be found?

Thank you - kadriver

Purchased my sodium chlorate form this fellow naclo2009 , ships from Turkey surface mail.

I bought 4 lbs from him, in 12 months half evaporated away.

Ammonium chloride food grade works fine, no issues with chemical loss after sitting for an extended time.

Purchased 1 lb of potassium dichromate 99.8% off of ebay.

Hope this helps.

Ammonium chloride can be made from household ammonia and HCl, (pH neutral) and evaporated to salts; Laser Steve posted a procedure years ago,
Ammonium chloride was also used to clean soldering irons (sold in blocks) try hardware or welding supply house.

You may find other sources but here is where I get many of my supply's, including sodium chlorate (I have not tried Tim's cell to make it yet).
I have seen sodium chlorate in weed killer before (did not try it, do not remember brand),

http://www.actionmining.com/Catalog.PDF

rusty - I think I seen the same listing for the potassium dichromate 99.8%

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Potassium-Dichromate-99-8-Lab-Chemical-1-lb-/250956237109?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6e284935

What kind of container did it come in?

Thank you

kadriver said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Potassium-Dichromate-99-8-Lab-Chemical-1-lb-/250956237109?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6e284935

Thank you

That is where I got mine. The ad says; Packaged in a high density wide mouth polyethylene jar.

Jim

kadriver said:

Thank you

Attachments

• 100_5156.JPG
    100_5156.JPG
    338.3 KB · Views: 325
kadriver said:
As a beginner, I would like to get recommendations from the forum as to what grades of these chemicals should be purchased (reagent, lab grade, food grade, purity, etc)?

Thank you - kadriver

Without intending to start an argument, I would say, as a hobbyist, that you should acquire chemicals that are as pure as you can afford. Commercial refiners probably could get away with lower purity reagents.

Robert

I purchased a plastic bag of ammonium chloride off ebay.

I dissolved some of it and it turned cloudy.

Hoke says that this is "cheap" ammonium chloride, and that it must be filtered. Once filtered, it is crystal clear.

I also bought some lab grade ammonium chloride. Kind of expensive ($17 for 500 grams with shipping). It dissolves in water and the solution is crystal clear. I will use the lab grade for refining.

The cheap stuff (about 2lbs) is going to be dissolved in distilled water, filtered, placed in a cornigware dish, then evaporated in my oven on low heat. I should get some pretty good product from this process.

If not, then I will repeat until I do.

The cheap ammonium chloride is loose in the bag (you can pout it out easily). The lab grade sticks together and is not loose (it comes out in chunks).

kadriver

I remember reading this, that is why I knew the ammonium chloride that poured like table salt was treated and not good for refining.

Sounds like my plan to dissolve, filter, and evaporate to powder is not going to give me the results I am looking for with the two pounds of cheap stuff.

From now on I will buy the lab grade ammonium chloride for refining.

Thank you - kadriver

kadriver said:
I remember reading this, that is why I knew the ammonium chloride that poured like table salt was treated and not good for refining.

Sounds like my plan to dissolve, filter, and evaporate to powder is not going to give me the results I am looking for with the two pounds of cheap stuff.

From now on I will buy the lab grade ammonium chloride for refining.

Thank you - kadriver

I've got a 50 lb unopened sack food grade ammonium chloride that I'll see you.

Latest posts

Back