amonium nitrate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Would amonium nitrate being used with sulfuric to make poor mans nitric cause any issues (i do not think it would) exspecially if the solution is never dry.

thanks.

Jim

Any nitrates, combined with sulfuric acid, will make nitric acid.

Since Ammonium Nitrate is very soluble in water (119g./100mL at 0C and more than 1 kilo/100mL water at 100C), it is a good nitrate choice if you can get it cheap.

The resulting salt would be Ammonium Sulfate (NH4)2SO4. It is soluble in water.

Good luck !

I have use ammonium nitrate fertilizer to distill nitric acid works good,
my only concern was that ammonia if mixed with silver or other metals might be dangerous if dried.
I have not expierienced any problems but it does concern me,
I can get ammonium nitrate in larger volumes cheaper ,than pottasium nitrate stump remover. ot sodium nitrate fertilizer, when distilling the water soluble ammonium sulfate stays behind in boiling vessel
( maybe some ammonia might distill off if reaction not carried out in proper molar ratios ?)
at this time with as much as I understand (limited chemistry self taught),
I would not recomend it without EXTREME CAUTION :!:
(do lil study on fumilates) (please forgive my spelling)
maybe we can get some chemist to help answer this :?:

how can I tell/detect if there is any amonium chloride mixed in with the amonium nitrate? if there is how can I eliminate it before making my nitric.

thanks

Jim

thanks, but I want to know/eliminate any chloride before processing my silver.

jim

this might get a little difficult but silver will precipitate with chloride
NH4Cl + AgNO3 -----> AgCl (solid) + NH4NO3(liquid)
now this doesnt eliminate the ammonium from your nitrate.
but can test for chloride in your nitric acid.
and if enough silver will pull out the chloride as silver chloride salt from your nitric. now this is based on theory, actual results may have varibles that I am not concidering,

LOU HELP NEEDED :wink:

the test for choride is silver.
NH4CL = AGNO3 ---> AgCl(solid white) + NH4NO3
if enough silver will precipitate the chloride.
this WILL NOT remove the ammonium cation from your nitric acid,
if distilling most ammonium I believe will form ammonium sulfate, and stay behind in boiling vessel,( but I think some NH4 or NH3 will carryover)
it is the NH4, NH3, ammonia that I would be concerned about, not the chloride with silver or other metals.
silver is soluble in ammonia (CAUTION DRY EXPLOSIVE FUMILATE) in proper preportion.
this is why we normally do not use, or promote the use of ammonium nitrate fertilyzer for making nitric acid,
this is something that I can only theorize on from what I understand of it, and can only give answers as my limited education allows, these are also some of the things I have puzzled over.
my suggestion use another fertilizer to make poormans nitric,
or do not let solutions dry out with silver ect.
or get more answers on the chemistry of this.

Actually, Butcher's recommendation of silver nitrate for testing for halides (like chloride) is the standard protocol, even in analytical chemistry (examples being gravimmetry and argentometric titrations).

So if you want to know if you're ammonium nitrate has ammonium chloride...well, the easiest way is with silver nitrate. I suppose lead nitrate could also work.

Latest posts

Back