anode metal

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mingo

I cannot find a definite answer as to the type of metal of the cell anode....I am constructing my cell and I have watched Lazersteve's video, but no mention of the anode material was made.....I assume an aluminum or perhaps zinc bar? maybe a ferrous metal like steel. Any help appreciated. Looked in Hoke too.

The anode is your plated item that you are removing the gold plating from, if you are speaking of the bar that has several clips to do many items at the same time it is stainless.

Jim

The cathode & anode bars in Lazersteve's video are made of lead. The cathode is in the acid, but the anode is left above & out of the acid. You use the clips that Jim mentioned by cliping your plated item to one end & then clip the opposite to the anode bar, & dip the item in the acid. After de-plating, unclip from anode, change the item & repeat.

Phil

Attachments

• 5-2010 004.JPG
    5-2010 004.JPG
    71.5 KB
LOL....thanks a million guys! I know it may be an obvious question, but I searched Hoke and Google and couldn't get a definitive answer.....was gonna try Lazersteves copper basket method. Ya'll rock...thanks for the quick answer. Mingo

That works real good too. I just did a batch yesterday using the copper screen, & it was a lot faster. Just make sure your acid is concentrated, if its only batery acid, it will eat up your copper. :shock:

Take care!

Phil

philddreamer said:
The cathode & anode bars in Lazersteve's video are made of lead. ...
Phil

Phil,

Only the cathode (negative lead) is lead. The positive is either a buss bar of 316 SS mounted outside of the cell to which you clip items to be stripped, or a copper mesh basket containing items to be stripped which is submerged into the acid.

Steve

Sorry, my mistake. When I first saw the video some months ago I thought it was also lead & since I had plenty of lead, I made the anode also of lead. It's been working fine; but the copper mesh is much better.
I stand corrected!

Phil

Latest posts

Back