Another lab acident- Help/advice needed

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawsonland

Hi,
I had a gallon of gold chloride in a bottle inside a large plastic box. I just found the the bottle broke and the box is now filled with a brown soup.
I had my autostirrer in the box and this has been sitting in it for I don't know how long but it is very corroded.
I also had beakers and other plastic funnels in there and they have brown stains on them.
I have washed erverything off and collected all the liquid and brown soilds.
I still need to scrub and wash out the tote box so I will probably have 2 gallons of brown soup.

What is the easiest way to get back to gold chloride from this brown soup of stuff?

Thanks

lawsonland said:
Hi,
I had a gallon of gold chloride in a bottle inside a large plastic box. I just found the the bottle broke and the box is now filled with a brown soup.
I had my autostirrer in the box and this has been sitting in it for I don't know how long but it is very corroded.
I also had beakers and other plastic funnels in there and they have brown stains on them.
I have washed erverything off and collected all the liquid and brown soilds.
I still need to scrub and wash out the tote box so I will probably have 2 gallons of brown soup.

What is the easiest way to get back to gold chloride from this brown soup of stuff?

Thanks

Brown soup, probably iron from the auto stirrer, this cemented your gold out of solution. Any rusty looking gook add this to the liquids you salvaged for processing as gold ions have a tendency to migrate towards lesser noble metals.

Your AR would have acted as an electrolyte allowing the migration of ions, this is how your gold cemented out with the iron I suspect the auto stirrer has in it or rather had before the spill..

Now that you have salvaged everything possible, remove base metals then re refine your gold.

Regards
Rusty

Brown is probably gold, amorphous.
filter it. If you suspect iron oxide in
it, boyl with HCl. The supernatant
from filtration is either containing
gold chloride or not - easy to test.

hi,i m bhupesh mulik frm india
due to the iron parts of yr auto stirrer gold precipited frm gold chloride.so u clean very well this area using water,collect this water in container and add again ferrous sulphate,treat brown sponge by aquaregia, the soution will be haucl4

Back