Any advice on de-plating?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

608rogerm

Supporting Member
I was hoping for some advice on how to proceed with these items. 1-I believe the lugs (magnetic) have lead solder on them. If that's so, the gold under it would be lost. Is that correct? 2-I think the small pan (copper base) has lead free solder. Best method for removal. Soak in HCL? 3-The large pan.(copper base,main question) Cut into pieces? I have a sulfuric cell large enough to accommodate,(and enclosed fume hood) but i'm almost positive it would overheat. The pictures are samples. I have a box full of this stuff that's been sitting in the corner for a couple of years. Very heavy plating. P.S. Just a thought. Has anyone ever tried a laptop cooling pad under a sulfuric cell? :shock:

Attachments

• 103_0612.JPG
    103_0612.JPG
    2.1 MB
  • 103_0613.JPG
    103_0613.JPG
    3 MB
  • 103_0616.JPG
    103_0616.JPG
    2.2 MB
hcl should remove the solder.collect all the powder and process the silver and gold,an electronics engineer friend of mine told me when silver solder is applied to gold plating the gold dissolves into the solder,im sure some remains as i have seen it myself but it is true melted silver will dissolve gold.stripping cell for sure on all the pieces even the large ones.just do half at a time and let the acid drain back into the cell when you remove it.it will build heat so you may have to do one side and then wait awhile for the other. cooling pad,not sure,heat rises and cold sinks but it couldnt hurt either.

If the laptop cooling pad is one that blows air up to the cell it will work beautiful. At least mine does.

Tom C.

Attachments

• Laptop Cooler.JPG
    Laptop Cooler.JPG
    724.2 KB
I set one up on 8 aluminum heat sinks from desktop computers and had a computer fan blowing through them. Doubled the time I could run the cell. 8)

Set it up so you do not get sulfuric acid on your aluminum.

Latest posts

Back