Anybody use this ?: Ph metef.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a similiar one. I bought it from china through ebay.
IMG_0317.JPG
I have not been able to make it work properly so far, so I went back to paper.
One big minus of this thing is - and I LOVE gadgets - that you have to dip it into the solution to make a measurement.
But that lower part of the device is very hard to fully clean. Also some solutions contain salts that will not dissolve easily. So over the time, this device will become contaminated from dipping it into 100s of solutions and that will even effect the results that you measure and in addition you may mess up your carefully cleaned solution with some tiny nitricsaltcrystals or whatever.

Btw. I didnt even pay 20 bucks for this thing, so that one over there may be overpriced.
I would never buy it again though. I would invest more money and get one with a stainless steel probe. One that can also be replaced, just in case. Here you dip the whole thing into solution and as you pull it out it drips endlessly. These things where meant for measuring the pH of swimming pools and fish tanks, which they may do excellent and where all my complains play no role.

Marcel

SBrown said:
If you are going to spend the money to get a PH meter, you should seriously think about getting a combo PH/Temp/ORP meter. ORP is a game changer.

Scott

I agree. Mine was about $160, but ones with less precision can be had for less. There are even controllers that can switch a valve to add oxidizer automatically when the oxidation potential or pH, drops below a set-point.

we use electronic pH meters at work and Marcel is absolutely right: they're hard to 100% clean. too many cavities. I always prefer the ones without guards (you just have to be careful not to drop it)
They make ones that are basically solid glass casing, I'd recommend one of those. I've never heard of SS pH meters.
digital-ph-meter-59221-2441445.jpg

Also, precision electronic pH meters (that read down to 2 decimal places) tend to need to be calibrated periodically. We calibrate it every other day (but we also use it 30 times a day). Less precise ones shouldn't need this.

Latest posts

Back