Anyone ever seen this happen

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devildog

Hello all,
Hope this finds everyone well and the gold richer then ever!
I did a refine of gold with Aqua Regia. Dropped the gold with Bonide Stump Out, and this is the colors of the solution, and the mud...
I've used Bonide S.O. on many gold refines before with no issue. This is a first for me this color anyway. It never turned dark per usual, it went to this color and so did the mud.
I did a stannous test as well after the drop and it is showing this color in the third photo? Platinum?
I appreciate and am grateful for all education, and knowledge you are willing to share.
Cheers!

Attachments

• 17221457723156995271418889703204.jpg
    17221457723156995271418889703204.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 1722145791328240375216636414403.jpg
    1722145791328240375216636414403.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 17221458941652813271439157741034.jpg
    17221458941652813271439157741034.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
Hello all,
Hope this finds everyone well and the gold richer then ever!
I did a refine of gold with Aqua Regia. Dropped the gold with Bonide Stump Out, and this is the colors of the solution, and the mud...
I've used Bonide S.O. on many gold refines before with no issue. This is a first for me this color anyway. It never turned dark per usual, it went to this color and so did the mud.
I did a stannous test as well after the drop and it is showing this color in the third photo? Platinum?
I appreciate and am grateful for all education, and knowledge you are willing to share.
Cheers!
Read the label thoroughly.
It may not be SMB but some Nitrate salt.

Read the label thoroughly.
It may not be SMB but some Nitrate salt.
This is what it says. Also says they use smb instead of potassium nitrate. I've used it several times with no issues like this.
The mud after washing, is a light brown. I believe I should filter it then put it in Aqua Regia again for a second go.
That stannous test showed the color of Platinum in solution. But I have no idea how to precipitate PL out of Aqua Regia.
Again thank you always for education and helping me.
Cheers!

Attachments

• 17221549079572258941578183988758.jpg
    17221549079572258941578183988758.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
This is what it says. Also says they use smb instead of potassium nitrate. I've used it several times with no issues like this.
The mud after washing, is a light brown. I believe I should filter it then put it in Aqua Regia again for a second go.
That stannous test showed the color of Platinum in solution. But I have no idea how to precipitate PL out of Aqua Regia.
Again thank you always for education and helping me.
Cheers!
What is your material and how did you treat it?

Did you happen to mix any tungsten in your scrap? The stannous test resembles a false positive as I see it. Take the gold and cement the waste. This will help reduce potential harm from PGM poisoning. Don’t get it on you, it is one of those things that builds up slowly in the body.

Did you happen to mix any tungsten in your scrap? The stannous test resembles a false positive as I see it. Take the gold and cement the waste. This will help reduce potential harm from PGM poisoning. Don’t get it on you, it is one of those things that builds up slowly in the body.
Shark,
Always a pleasure. No I couldn't imagine any tungsten although it could be possible.
I had roughly 2g of 14 to 16k dental gold, and roughly 8g of 14k yellow gold jewelry.

What is your material and how did you treat it?
I had roughly 2g of dental gold 14k to 16k, as well as 8g of 14k yellow gold jewelry.
Unfortunately I had zero silver and don't expect any for a while, so I AR it which I'm sure was a bad move. But I'm only working with what I have on hand currently. Majority of my money is tied up in my other business.

Cement it out with copper or?

Or Aluminum?

Yes with copper. Dental gold, if older may have some palladium in it, not sure about platinum. Newer dental stuff is hard, but not sure what it uses these days.

Aluminum will take about every metal in solution with it when cementing, copper targets the pm’s and leaves most non precious metals behind.

Yes with copper. Dental gold, if older may have some palladium in it, not sure about platinum. Newer dental stuff is hard, but not sure what it uses these days.
Copper it is my friend. Luckily I have a fresh set of copper here. Usually have a ton of it and aluminum.
I will put some copper in and report back what becomes of it.
Thank you so much again. Be back in a few hours or so.

It is very diluted also. Should i boil it down or it doesn't matter? I know with silver it works either way. Not sure about this step with gold.

Never boil. Reducing it might help, but I seldom do it unless it is very dilute. I usually check that by the stannous test. If it is a strong positive I cement, if unsure, I reduce it in low heat.

Edit. Don’t forget some circulation while cementing.

Never boil. Reducing it might help, but I seldom do it unless it is very dilute. I usually check that by the stannous test. If it is a strong positive I cement, if unsure, I reduce it in low heat.

Edit. Don’t forget some circulation while cementing.
I may have a bubbler but I unfortunately don't have a stir rod and stir table. I don't know the proper term for those two things so I gave it my best shot with describing them. Hahaha
The solution hasn't been touched since I did that stannous test in the photo.

Bubbler is my most used piece besides my hot plate. The bubbler should do just fine.
Thank you so much!! I'm so grateful for all your help and tips. I'll set it up here directly and hope for the best. How long should the cementing process take before I do another stannous test?

Latest posts

Back