AP - First batch

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boboxx

Hello,

I just ran my fist batch of fingers in AP. The gold came off nicely and I was able to filter and reperate but I find I have alot of green varnish mask and tinny bits of fiberglass dust mixed in. Is there a trick to prevent or to clean it out?

Thanks

On Lasersteves site there is a set of free videos showing the steps to take the foils into solution and then drop the gold powder.
A final rinse in just enough hot HCL to cover the foils will help rid the last of the copper from the foils, rinse several times the HCL and rinses can be added back into your AP bucket.
Add just enough HCL to cover the foils again then add in small amounts of bleach, 5 - 10 ml at a time, stir and when the foils are dissolved filter the solution through your filters this will remove the trash. Rinse the filters well then store them for final recovery at a later date. Either heat (not boil) the solution to drive of the chlorine or let stand in a warm place several hours to allow the chlorine to dissipate.
Mark

boboxx said:
Is there a trick to prevent or to clean it out?

Don't bother your mind with it, it will not react with any acid and when you dissolve the gold, the left over organics/fiberglass will stay behind in the filter.

Back