AP Questions

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the best lessons in life, are usually hard won. Next time, feel free to ask questions before starting a project. That is what the forum is here for. The standard reply will always be, "read Ms. Hoke" first, several times, if necessary. This is not only directed to you, but everyone. For the reasons stated above by Shark. Don't take it personally, hopefully if you stick around long enough, you will see why.

Are you implying that I don't work and just sit around all day waiting for someone to reply?
Nope, not at all. I am saying that the answers are given by a good many people who work and/or have other things going on in life and getting a quick answer isn’t always going to happen.

A further comment on recovering precious metals from electronic scrap. Such refining seldom makes a profit unless you are processing it in ton lots. Even most large refiners will not touch them. They certainly are not a way to "secure your wealth", regardless of what some scrap sellers will imply in their ads.

If you want to possibly stabilize the value of the spare funds you currently possess, you would be far better off buying rounds from a major bullion dealer - at a premium over the spot price.

Before going any further, follow the three steps that have been outlined - then buy a SMALL amount of scrap sterling or karat gold at yard sales. It is simple to process compared to electronic scrap. Once you are comfortable refining those two materials and can do so safely and efficiently, then you might consider expanding to slightly more complex processes.

I would like to apologize to everyone in this thread who offered me constructive advice. My snarky replies were not respectful and for that I am truly sorry. I did follow the advice to study up before asking so many questions.

As far as the wastes go. I was able to capture the solids in the water rinse and acid/peroxide solution with 5-micron sock filters. I still have a waste container of the AP solution, but I properly disposed of the water rinse by treating it then taking it to a safe disposal site.

After incinerating and drying the material in the filters, I was left with a liter of a heterogeneous mixture of green powder, gold flakes, and other particulate junk. I am in the process of having the mixture analyzed with a spectrometer to see if I can gain better data on the consistency of the mixture. In a small test of the material, my initial thoughts are that the green powder is copper. Attached is a picture of the fine powder. I think that separating this mixture will be the biggest challenge and will help in determining the road forward in processing the large number of clean boards that I have remaining.

I do appreciate everyone's input in this thread, and I again apologize for my naiveté in previous posts. I acknowledge that I am learning and that this will all take time.

Attachments

• green powder.jpg
    green powder.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I happily accept your apology. I had to read back through this thread to remind myself what was said since it was over a year old.

Communicating on a forum is so much more difficult than a face to face conversation. It's so easy to misunderstand a reply. We've all been there.

You are among a small group who have the ability to recognize when you might have been part of the misunderstanding, and be able to come out and say it.

Dave

I thought this was a forum where people who are refining, learning to refine, or are asking for help in understanding came discuss techniques. Apparently, I was wrong, and it's just place where uppity refiners like you come to throw shade on those who are just getting started. Your comment lends zero value to this conversation. How about realizing that there are going to be many many more people like me coming on and asking for help? This is because they, like me, see the alarming direction that the central banks of this world are taking us, and in a race against time, are trying to every little thing they can, to insure that they secure their wealth.

I would like to apologize to everyone in this thread who offered me constructive advice. My snarky replies were not respectful and for that I am truly sorry. I did follow the advice to study up before asking so many questions.

As far as the wastes go. I was able to capture the solids in the water rinse and acid/peroxide solution with 5-micron sock filters. I still have a waste container of the AP solution, but I properly disposed of the water rinse by treating it then taking it to a safe disposal site.

After incinerating and drying the material in the filters, I was left with a liter of a heterogeneous mixture of green powder, gold flakes, and other particulate junk. I am in the process of having the mixture analyzed with a spectrometer to see if I can gain better data on the consistency of the mixture. In a small test of the material, my initial thoughts are that the green powder is copper. Attached is a picture of the fine powder. I think that separating this mixture will be the biggest challenge and will help in determining the road forward in processing the large number of clean boards that I have remaining.

I do appreciate everyone's input in this thread, and I again apologize for my naiveté in previous posts. I acknowledge that I am learning and that this will all take time.
I hope you include my reply as constructive. As i hope you realise we have seen hundreds of new members passing here before you came along, with the same 'dive in head first, then ask' attitude. Including me, over ten years ago.
We're here to help and warn.
If so, apologies accepted.
I know it can be frustrating,not getting the amswer you were hoping for. Have seen it many times.

Back to your case:

That AP does not have to be waste, and after cementing on copper, you can reuse it.
Actually, if you continue dissolving plated items by adding only air bubbles and an occasional dash of HCl, the values will follow your foils by cementation as powders. No need to treat it at all.

The green will very likely be a copper salt and I would go for AR or HCl/bleech without bothering to analyse. The AP should have taken care of all base Metals. If not, throw it back in the AP.

Take a bit of the foils, put it in a test tube or small beaker and try to dissolve it,m test with stannous and precipitate it back out. You can use this liter of foils and trash to learn refining, even in different ways.

Once you got the hang of it, process the rest.
Have fun and be safe.

Martijn.

Edited to correct autocorrected word in dutch.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back