AP using high percentage peroxide- BE CAREFUL!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It degrades over time but can be stabilised with something like H3PO4.

It is not so air sensitive as it is light and metal cation sensitive.
Bromide and iodide catalyze its decomposition.

I picked up a gallon of 36% hydrogen peroxide for $16. Will this result in lower volume of waste/spent AP or am I missing something?

This is good Skyline.

If you bought 3.6 percent (if there was such) it would take 10 gallons to equal the one gallon you just bought.

So, at lets say 2 dollars a quart......youda spent like 80 bucks.

You did well, care to share ware you found this great deal?
Randy

Lou said:
Are you absolutely certain that it's not 40 volume?

If so, that is more like 10%.

Ah crap it does say 40 volume. Check the MSDS it is 12%... not too bad a i guess. I will have to find a food service supply store. for the stronger stuff.

A pool supply shop. The man was muttering about 1990's prices when he sold it to me. They also have super strength HCl. I'll probably avoid this. The standard HCl is plenty strong for my needs.

And if you mix equal parts of 35% peroxide and concentrated HCl, it will heat up, start bubbling happily over the edge of the container and boil off HCl gas.

I intended to use it for cleaning MnO2 from glassware (which it does very effectively), but forgot to dilute it as I usually do after mixing. Well, we live to learn (if we survive, that is).

Also, be very careful not to mix organic solvents with acidified peroxide. The formation of highly explosive peroxides may occur. It is not an uncommon source of laboratory explosions (and quite a few maimed garage chemists!).

For those of you who have used strong H2O2 in AP ...

Is the resulting gold foils or powder any different than using 2% H2O2?
My impression is that it would put more gold into solution than normal and result in more powder (as opposed to stripped foils and a little bit of powder)

Latest posts

Back