AP White substance question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nivrnb

To All,

I placed some motherboard pieces into AP and I get this white substance at the bottom. I have read on the Forum before placing motherboard pieces into AP, one should wash the material in just HCL to remove solder. I did not do this, just placed the motherboard pieces directly into the AP. Now some of the gold came off but some did not. Should I just place these pieces back into the AP and bubble longer? Also when I try to wash the foils the white substance does not dissolve in the wash with plain water?

If I could just get the name of the white substance, I believe it may be tin? Thanks for any assistance.

nivrnb

Attachments

• IMG_0994.jpg
    IMG_0994.jpg
    79.3 KB
  • IMG_0993.jpg
    IMG_0993.jpg
    74.8 KB
  • IMG_0992.jpg
    IMG_0992.jpg
    85 KB
  • IMG_0991.jpg
    IMG_0991.jpg
    241.9 KB
Looks like Lead chloride.

Try boiling the powder in planty of water. Add little HCl to the water to make it acidic.
Filter while it's hot, otherwise it will ppt back.

Samuel-a,

Thank you for putting me in the right direction. From you input, I searched and found this thread.

unknown precipitate in AP

One question I have is do I keep using the AP with the Lead chloride or should I filter this out? Also since I now have the information I need, should I delete this post, as to not clog up the Forum?

nivrnb

When you finish sripping whatever it is you are stripping, just seperate the AP from any solids, filter it and rejuvenate it by adding a tad more HCl and bubble air for several day... look it up on the search.

then dissolve the lead chloride separately and discard.

As far as i know, there isn't a requirement to delete similar posts.

Latest posts

Back