aqua regia help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MACK333

i did a batch of computer chips and finger in AR. i cleaned the batch with HCL before i used AR on it but i must not have cleaned it good enough. my AR is very dark. i added urea to neutralize the nitric and got no reaction from this so i thought my nitric was gone. i added SMB to the mix and got a strong reaction. so a added more and just keep getting a strong reaction. after adding more AR than i should have had to the color of my AR changed to a clear brown gold color. after setting over night some material haze a gray milky substance on the bottom. can any one help me with this plz.

Mack333, please become familiar with our rules. There is a link at the top of the page. Please do not double post. Take your time, choose the best section of the forum before posting, then be patient. Most of the people who will be able to help you read all new posts, so they'll see it on their next visit. I'm deleting your other post.

Dave

Please do not double post. Your question will be read. I have deleted your other post.

You have to give us more details.

- "Washed with HCl" doesn't sound like you did a lot dissolving of base metals.
- Chips and fingers in the same batch... not good to combine, especially if you don't know what you are doing.
- SMB giving a strong reaction... yeah, it reacts on the HCl to produce SO2 gas.
- Have you done any testing with stannous so you know you actually had any gold in solution to start with?

I suggest putting your experimental mess on hold while reading up on some of the subjects as safety, dealing with waste, testing, recover gold from a mess with copper... for a start.

Edit : Seems Dave beat me again and we both deleted your other post. :D

Göran

This is a great example of a little bit of knowledge being worse that no knowledge at all. It's time to stop and do some research. Read through Hoke's book, then turn to youtube and watch every video on gold recovery, then read the book again.

(After you do your reading) Wash the grey milky substance with ammoniac to remove silver and copper compounds

Latest posts

Back