AR evaporated dry, what action should I take

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no1special

I was evaporating off the excess nitric on my poor mans AR and got distracted with other events here at home. When I got back my pot had completely dried up into a crust. So far I have removed from heat and added some 35% Hcl and some water. What should I do next.

no1special said:
I was evaporating off the excess nitric on my poor mans AR and got distracted with other events here at home. When I got back my pot had completely dried up into a crust. So far I have removed from heat and added some 35% Hcl and some water. What should I do next.
Unless it was an EMERGENCY, a distraction will get you killed doing this, and possibly others too. You should be focused and prepared for the unexpected.

Now, what I would do if I was you, doing what we do here on this forum, and that would be to put whatever chemicals you need to get it to a solution again and transfer it to another beaker or whatever else, because you may have fractured the glass slightly where you can't notice it, but adding more heat, along with more liquids could cause it to breach.

Whater distracted you, you need to rethink what you're doing in this refining because you're messing with some dangerous stuff that will show no mercy on you, your neighbors and even your loved ones.

Kevin

Thanks for advise, had been with it for entire time until our cows got through fence and had to round them up. Thought it would take longer than it did to evaporate down, but I will not leave its side again. I had already transferred to a new beaker, I heard the crack when I first started to add muratic.

Ok got reconstituted and warmed up again, but Stannnus test is very weak if any, and it was instant black before, I have 18 grams of 14 k inqrarted in there. Should I add a little more sodium nitrate? I did see what I assume was part of my gold as a fine yellow powder trailing down the beaker as I transferred beakers. I am thinking that since all the solution evaporated and my gold was no longer in solution, that if all the nitric was used or evaporated, Hcl and water would not redissolve the gold without adding another spoon or so of sodium nitrate. But I wanted advise before I proceeded.

A teapoon of sodium nitrate did the trick, reaction is back to normal, and stannous test is back to instant black. Thanks for bailing me out... and cows were on the 4 lane hwy and lives were at stake via car wreck, i responded to the situation as best i could. Some times s%^& happens and things dont go as planned.

Latest posts

Back