AR Help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary492

so i crushed up my boards and put them in a beaker and put Hcl 32% on them now when i put the nitic acid in it do i need to put a lid on the beaker since it will make brown gas :?:

Hopefully you are outdoors or under a fume hood, to start with.

To answer your question, yes - watch glass or wet cheese cloth cork will help you in two ways.
1. Reduce the fumes.
2. Prevent evaporation.

At some point evaporation will be a good thing, like when you are trying to reduce nitric before precipitation, but I think you are talking about the point where you are about to disolve all your PM/BM.

When you say boards, what do you mean? Mother boards? CPUs?

You'd be better off using the AP process for these boards(low yield) followed by HCL/CL and save your nitric for better quality materials. Search the board for the processes. Just my opinion!

Hi Gary , how are tricks today?
I hope your well!

gary492 said:
so i crushed up my boards and put them in a beaker and put Hcl 32% on them now when i put the nitic acid in it do i need to put a lid on the beaker since it will make brown gas :?:

You've awnsered what was going to be my first question in your post above , these are your cell phone boards.
A couple of others though if I may , just so I might be able to give you a simple pointer or two from where I'm standing.
Have you depopulated the boards beforehand , i.e. removed and separated the surface mounted devices , as briefly mentioned in my other post concerning these boards?
If so that's a good start.
Is there any solder left on your boards?
If so , this may cause you problems.
Just to satisfy my own curiosity , what are you hoping to achieve by placing your crushed boards into ar ( aqua regia ) ?
Have you yet considered how your going to recover your gold when it vanishes into your ( now dirty ) ar solution ?
If you plan on trying to achieve a half decent purity of gold , have you considered how you are going to clean up your gold recovered from your dirty ar solution , and how do you plan to re-refine this to achieve a better purity ?
If your just trying to recover the thin visible layers of gold from the boards , have you considered trying the ap ( acid peroxide ) process instead ?
Do you know what this is yet , and have you started to read hoke ?
You can learn an amazing amount in a single day just by reading this forum alone , but there is always so much more to learn.
I'm still considered a noob here , infact I havn't even tried refining in the six nearly seven months that I've been studying , but to me it sounds as if you are setting yourself up for a headache.
It seems to me that there are much easier and cleaner methods of achieving what you are trying to achieve.
Jusy my dos centavos mauvey , :roll:
All the best with it and kind regards ,
Chris

(Edited to fix spelling)

Hi Gary!

I would like to make sure that you are taking the proper precautions on handling the chemicals & protecting yourself & others around you from the acids fumes, nitric vapors in particular. You must run this process under a fume hood or outside!

WARNING: No "cartridge type" respirator will filter out nitric fumes, NONE!!!

Take care & be safe!

Phil

okay so i following this watch these two videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ_R8Gr26kk

and part 2 is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv4CcaTVJqY&feature=relmfu

and tell me if there any thing wrong with this

What I see wrong is that in the videos Samual was processing ceramic processors in an acceptable process.

You are working with cellphone boards that require a different process to avoid all the problems of base metals that just don't exist in the ceramic processors.

Tom C.

Latest posts

Back