AR process altered

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have checked back and forth, read and discussed and my conclusion is that his procedure was not as succesful as he though it were (was?).
The input was dirty, the AR procedure most likely did not dissolve all gold available, once BM got dissolved and stopped the process, the only advantage he has is that the zinc drop worked and forced the gold out, whereby the SMB failed (because of the messy solution that he created in first round). So from what I have learned until now, I would not recommend anyone to take the "zinc shortcut" because you will not retreive all gold.
Another disadvantage is the greater volume of chemical waste, that one creates, because more material=larger surface needs to be covered by the AR. It is best to reduce the material first mechanically, by incineration and acids and whatever, then start to dissolve the - almost BM free - gold.
The only interesting thing may be for those who are new and messed up their material and SMB doesn´t work for them.
It may be worth a try to drop with zinc powder instead. But not on a regular basis instead of reducing the inputmaterial.
Maybe it is helpful for understanding on the importance of clean material if you remember what a battery is: 2 different metals and one acid between them. Now imagine you add a fourth a fifth and so on metal to that. Depending ond the amount you can surely see the mess you create. Current will flow in all directions, particles wandern around. The performance will suffer, if not even come to a standstill.
Now this comparison is not perfect, but still works. We have two metals, one dissolved(gold) in an acid(AR) and one that is added(precipitant).
Story:
Now the greedy Mr. Acid works like womanizer (hope they dont ban me for rude language here).
He always chooses the partner that is most easily to get. Once it eyes a chick that seems to be less trouble to hold with gifts and stuff (energy), it will drop the gold(expensive girlfriend) and go for the cheap one.
Now imagine 5 others turn up that are all different concerning the energy he has to invest to get them, confusion will start and funny things may happen.(No need for details here, you know what I mean)
At the end of the night, he will go home with several different beauties and leave some of golden chick behind, because there is no more room in his car. He has now dissolved Ms. Gold, but created a mess and diddn´t get all of her.
Now the next morning, when Mr. Acid wakes up, another woman, Miss Precipitant rings his door and comes to visit.
She is the one who is cheapest. She doesn´t ask for expensive gifts, no need to buy drinks and pay the taxi home.
Mr Acids says to himself: "Hey, lets send the high-society Ms. Gold back home and team up with Ms. Precipitant! She is easy to get and doesn´t moan because I sleep all day and watch TV"
So he tries to breake up with Ms. Gold her(at least the part of her he took home) to leave his flat, but the other 5 chicks are still around as well!
Now depending on who they are and how many of them are "dissolved" this will create trouble, back and forth. Ms. Precipitant is added even multiple times, but there is no agreement on who will stay and who will go. Noone drops and Ms. Precipitant doesn´t even pass the door.
....then end
At the end of the day, even this company has rethough their uneffective procedure and will change it. Less waste, more yield, a few steps added.

Latest posts

Back