AR solutions

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In simplistic terms AR dissolves most metals alongside the gold. You use a precipitant to take the gold out that takes as little of those metals as possible down with it. Those metals remain in solution and can be taken out by other means.

A good starting point for working out how to take those others out is to look up the Reactivity series of metals Tommy.

Dropping Gold from aqua regia always brings down some undesirable metals along with the gold. There are techniques to minimize the impurities that linger with the gold but some always remain. There is a reason no refined metal is ever called 100% Gold.

I can say from experience that I have taught a lot of refiners over the years and by following the steps mentioned on this forum one can expect to attain .999 gold without any re-refine. Sure there are exceptions but proper filtration and rinsing play a large part.

From years of looking at ICP results I can say the most common impurities are copper and silver. (note. most of what I have refined is jewelry related scrap)

Latest posts

Back