Wait til you read this!!!!!! Not click bait either ........

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lrac Snnam

So I started out with about 400 grams of 1/20 12k gold filled jewelry scrap. I had 500 ml of nitric acid 67% and a gallon of muriatic acid 32% concentrate. I first took around 300 grams and started a diluted nitric acid bath to dissolve base metals. I mixed magnetic material and nonmagnetic material together without insinirating it first. Then I finally got down to the gold foils and I then made aqua regia and dissolved the gold into solution after I filtered it. Then I tried to precipitate gold back out when I added "bonide" "STUMP OUT" with SMB and I didn't realize I never neutralized the nitric acid left in solution so the gold would start to come out and then dissolve right back up into solution. Well I then mixed that solution back into the other waste solution and tried again not realizing I wasn't neutralizing the nitric acid before I went to get the gold back out of solution. So it never worked. Then I took all my solution and dumped more and more STUMP OUT into it and then tried iron out too. I got some little black dust and more sentiment at the bottom. So I tried all over with it and used the whole 500 ml of nitric acid. The whole gallon of muriatic acid, I put some sulfuric acid in it. And then thought it wasn't working so I divided solution up into like 20 mason jars half full and started different experiments with them. Some I tried to use baking soda in it. Some I put baking soda and 3% hydrogen peroxide in others. I then tried to water them down. Some I tried just sulfuric acid. Then I found out when In doubt cement it out with copper. So I put a huge amount of copper in most of them. And the others I tried to put rusty iron it the other half and waited then I came back to alot of fatty gooey lard like substance in most of it and then alot of junk sediment with brown dirt and then I mixed it all back up into 4 containers and tried using copper Pennies made before 1982 to cement out gold. So like 15 cents in copper pennies with into it. Then I took the last 100 grams of gold filled material and put it in a container and dumped all my dirty solution into this one container and the watered down filter water I tried all the whole time I was experimenting. But now I got one container with all my solution and my undissolved gold filled jewelry in it and like 2 mason jars with some solution I don't really know what is all in them I think they got the least amount of chemicals in them. But alot of hydrochloric acid in it too. Some of the solutions are black. Some are very dark green some are little light green with blue tint and some have more of a yellow fatty gunk in the bottom of them and I don't think I've recovered any gold.out of it yet. I am at a standstill with my chaos at the moment because the filtered stuff I did filter out I was going to try and smelt it but my propane torch for melting snow off driveways will not get the material hot enough in my cast iron skillet I tried it with lol. So I'm just wondering what I did wrong and where I should go from here lol. I am like a little mad scientist in my backyard. Mind you I don't think I've wore gloves but once or twice and I've got alot of solution on my fingers but I want you to know I did do it outside and I have started to care more about my and my neighbors safety so I have been wearing gloves more now like everytime... So I've heard hook electricity up to it next and see if I can wing it and trial and error get as much data as I can out of my self taught lessons and the more I record what I do not want to do next time I will have a better understanding of what chemistry is about because regardless of my hours and hours of reading and watching all YouTube videos I still have no clue what danger I'm putting myself at let alone understanding chemistry at its core . It's not just mixing shit together and Walla . I do want to learn it thou and what I put my mind to I end up learning it if I want to learn it. But yeah Any suggestions would be great lol. And I haven't started actually hardcore understand chemistry yet but I fill if I got some hands on experience first then start studying it I might understand some things better and get a unique perspective on it when I do finally understand what chemistry and all fields of it is.

So I started out with about 400 grams of 1/20 12k gold filled jewelry scrap. I had 500 ml of nitric acid 67% and a gallon of muriatic acid 32% concentrate. I first took around 300 grams and started a diluted nitric acid bath to dissolve base metals. I mixed magnetic material and nonmagnetic material together without insinirating it first. Then I finally got down to the gold foils and I then made aqua regia and dissolved the gold into solution after I filtered it. Then I tried to precipitate gold back out when I added "bonide" "STUMP OUT" with SMB and I didn't realize I never neutralized the nitric acid left in solution so the gold would start to come out and then dissolve right back up into solution. Well I then mixed that solution back into the other waste solution and tried again not realizing I wasn't neutralizing the nitric acid before I went to get the gold back out of solution. So it never worked. Then I took all my solution and dumped more and more STUMP OUT into it and then tried iron out too. I got some little black dust and more sentiment at the bottom. So I tried all over with it and used the whole 500 ml of nitric acid. The whole gallon of muriatic acid, I put some sulfuric acid in it. And then thought it wasn't working so I divided solution up into like 20 mason jars half full and started different experiments with them. Some I tried to use baking soda in it. Some I put baking soda and 3% hydrogen peroxide in others. I then tried to water them down. Some I tried just sulfuric acid. Then I found out when In doubt cement it out with copper. So I put a huge amount of copper in most of them. And the others I tried to put rusty iron it the other half and waited then I came back to alot of fatty gooey lard like substance in most of it and then alot of junk sediment with brown dirt and then I mixed it all back up into 4 containers and tried using copper Pennies made before 1982 to cement out gold. So like 15 cents in copper pennies with into it. Then I took the last 100 grams of gold filled material and put it in a container and dumped all my dirty solution into this one container and the watered down filter water I tried all the whole time I was experimenting. But now I got one container with all my solution and my undissolved gold filled jewelry in it and like 2 mason jars with some solution I don't really know what is all in them I think they got the least amount of chemicals in them. But alot of hydrochloric acid in it too. Some of the solutions are black. Some are very dark green some are little light green with blue tint and some have more of a yellow fatty gunk in the bottom of them and I don't think I've recovered any gold.out of it yet. I am at a standstill with my chaos at the moment because the filtered stuff I did filter out I was going to try and smelt it but my propane torch for melting snow off driveways will not get the material hot enough in my cast iron skillet I tried it with lol. So I'm just wondering what I did wrong and where I should go from here lol. I am like a little mad scientist in my backyard. Mind you I don't think I've wore gloves but once or twice and I've got alot of solution on my fingers but I want you to know I did do it outside and I have started to care more about my and my neighbors safety so I have been wearing gloves more now like everytime... So I've heard hook electricity up to it next and see if I can wing it and trial and error get as much data as I can out of my self taught lessons and the more I record what I do not want to do next time I will have a better understanding of what chemistry is about because regardless of my hours and hours of reading and watching all YouTube videos I still have no clue what danger I'm putting myself at let alone understanding chemistry at its core . It's not just mixing shit together and Walla . I do want to learn it thou and what I put my mind to I end up learning it if I want to learn it. But yeah Any suggestions would be great lol. And I haven't started actually hardcore understand chemistry yet but I fill if I got some hands on experience first then start studying it I might understand some things better and get a unique perspective on it when I do finally understand what chemistry and all fields of it is.
And I dissolved a 🧲 in the solution too

And I'm guessing the fatty material is iron sulfide or iron oxide idk it's rust something lol

Please break up your text with line spacers, punctuation and commas.
This is practically unreadable!!

Between the punctuation and the complete lack of knowing what your doing, I couldn’t even make it to the end of that “explanation” of “what did I do wrong” post. The answer to what you did wrong is, almost everything. Next try finding the post on waste treatment, and follow it, that will get your gold back, and teach you much of where things went wrong at the same time.

Please keep your threads together. This is about the same batch in this post:
Thank you very much and yes I agree totally it was a very stupid and careless mistake of my part and I will put forth all my attention into studying the safety aspect of this little adventure I'm wanting to do. I appreciate all of your insight and advice and greatly appreciate you worrying about my health and not just lecturing me on my dumb mistakes. I am so amazed at all the things alchemists have to learn before they do what they do and hats off to you guys for what you do
Again thank you and I'm looking forward to speaking again but next time, in more of a intelligence conversation about this skill set you guys have acquired
Now follow your own advice: stop and study hoke and dealing with waste.
Ask before you do something for your own sake.

I have now read through this thing of yours. What a headache.
I know I'm rude now, but I do not know other ways to wake you up.

If I could recommend anything, it would be drop this hobby.
If you are going to continue, drop the Youtube and videos in general and start reading.

To me it don't seem like you have studied at all, it is just a replay of your first mistakes and actually even worse.
You mix anything you have randomly with out plan or idea what it will do.

STOP THIS NOW!!!!!!!
DO NOT DO ANYTHING more before you have studied Hokes book to the end.
Then you present a plan and get it reviewed, and then you follow this plan to the letter.
If something do not go according to plan you STOP and ask the forum until you have an answer before you proceed.

And newsflash there is no indication of a scientist in anything you have done here.
You may ponder what is left then...

Praise the maker you are still alive.

Too much nitric for such a tiny amount of gold. And those foils would have only been about 50% gold at 12K. Out of 400g of starter gold-filled material, you probably only had a few grams of gold in total. It'd only require a few mls of nitric to dissolve the foils added to just enough HCl to cover them.

You'd also have a lot of silver chloride after dissolving the foils in AR. 12k gold will have a fair amount of silver in the alloy.

Latest posts

Back