AR

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far as I know, titanium is inert, so it should work fine in gold chloride, in spite of concentration. I welcome a correction if I'm wrong.

I'm not convinced that concentration would make a difference, though. If a material will cement another, there isn't a magic number where it won't, which is why a stock pot is so successful at recovering values.

Harold

25 years ago, at the very beginning of my activities in industrial recovery/refining, I had to operate some Wohlwill cells the very first time, instructed by the engineer who planned and installed the whole chemical and electrochemical refining units. The racks to hold and contact anodes and cathodes were made of plain silver. The very first electrolysis-experiment rapidly showed up as a disaster, caused by heavy corrosion of the silver, leading to a rapid growing of the cell resistance and thus to rapidly sinking current flow. So the racks had to be replaced, and titanium was the material chosen. It worked successfully nearly endless, even without traces of corrosion.
Titanium as such is a very reactive metal, like aluminum, but covered with a very compact oxide layer on its surface, protecting it efficiently against attack with mineral acids, elemental halogens and strong bases. This very high chemical resistance leads to its industrial use as so called dimensionally stable anodes (DSA) in chlor-alcali-electrolysis and different electrochemical processes. In a DSA the original titaniumoxide surface layer, which is a very good electrical insulator, is replaced by a mixed oxide layer, for example a mixed titanium/ruthenium-dioxide layer, which conducts electrical current and is able to oxidize chloride to elemental chlorine at even lower potentials than a platinum- or a graphite-anode.

freechemist said:
25 years ago, at the very beginning of my activities in industrial recovery/refining, I had to operate some Wohlwill cells the very first time, instructed by the engineer who planned and installed the whole chemical and electrochemical refining units. The racks to hold and contact anodes and cathodes were made of plain silver. The very first electrolysis-experiment rapidly showed up as a disaster, caused by heavy corrosion of the silver, leading to a rapid growing of the cell resistance and thus to rapidly sinking current flow.
That's interesting! I recall reading that, at one time, silver was the metal of choice for the buss in a Wohwill cell, and I expected that it would be troublesome.

So the racks had to be replaced, and titanium was the material chosen. It worked successfully nearly endless, even without traces of corrosion.
Thanks for confirming my hunch. I built a small Wohwill cell years ago, right down to making the mold for the anodes (roughly 5 ounces per anode). Never put it to work, in spite of having cast some anodes to part. I used titanium for the buss and racking system, hoping it would respond as you suggested. Now I have regrets for never having tried the system. I was so comfortable doing a second refining chemically (AR) that I simply stayed the course. Sold the cell, along with the refining business when I retired. To my knowledge, it was never put in service.

Harold

Mixed metal oxide coated titanium anodes are exclusively used in the metal recovery system. The system is composed of the deposition of an electrolytic cell at the cathode, in the metal you want to obtain. MMO coated Titanium Anodes that are immersed in a fluidized bed of non-conducting particles , this ensures that there are high levels of mass transport and low power requirements. The metal recovery system is used for the efficient recovery of metals from dilute solutions where conventional electrolysis cannot be considered.

The metals that can be recovered by this method are copper, nickel, zinc and cobalt, and used in the recovery of cyanide-based electrolytes of gold, silver, copper, zinc and cadmium cyanide is electrochemically destroyed, due to the enhanced anode efficiency.

Titanium substrate shapes: squares,rectangular sheets, strips, foils, plates, expanded metal and meshes, corrugated and perforated metal plates, wires, rods, discs, bars,tubes or according to clients' requirements.​

Let me guess.... Spam marketing of shitty chinese products before markets get closed by international sanctions..... Ostriches.
Full country's IP ban?
That's about as political I dare to be here..sorry but I couldn't help it.

Back to refining.

Latest posts

Back