Attempting to refine placer gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rreyes097

Supporting Member
I only have approximately 3 grams of flakes of placer gold. Ive inquarted karat gold with success and was hoping this would go smoothly as well. So i inquarted with 6 grams fine silver. Then corn flaked it. Then heated with dilute nitric and distilled water. And other then it boiling there has been no reaction. So i decanted liquid. Rinsed with distilled once. Should have done more then once because i thought id try some hydrochloric acid. And that ended up taking some of the gold into solution. Minor amount which i precipitated out via smb. Then rinsed with distilled again 3 times then tired yet again dilute nitric. And stil no reaction!what's going on!? Please help.

Attachments

• 20170206_211541.jpg
    20170206_211541.jpg
    2.2 MB
  • 20170206_211603.jpg
    20170206_211603.jpg
    1.2 MB
Rreyes097 said:
I only have approximately 3 grams of flakes of placer gold. Ive inquarted karat gold with success and was hoping this would go smoothly as well. So i inquarted with 6 grams fine silver. Then corn flaked it.
Well, that's not really quite inquarted. If we assume the flakes were nearly pure, you would end up with about 1/3 gold, not 1/4. It depends on how pure the gold was to start. If the gold content is too high, it can impede the action of the nitric.

Why do you say there was no reaction with the nitric? Did you test the nitric with a drop of HCl to see if there was any silver in solution? Silver nitrate is colorless. You may have dissolved some from near the surface before the gold shielded any remaining silver at the core.

If the gold content is higher than 1/4 it can still work, but the remaining cornflakes can look just like they did when you started and feel very solid. I believe I've read of using as low as 2-1/2 parts silver to each part of gold.

Have you tried to dry them out and weigh them again? It will tell you if you how much metal has been dissolved, mostly silver.

Dave

It looks as if I may have decanted the silver if that's the case. I read that the placer gold is roughly 16-18 karat. So when i said a reaction i meant when the base metals disolved into solution and therefore coloring the solution. But it didn't do that, it reminded clear. So if there were none and since silver is colorless then maybe I'm wrong! As for the amount of silver well, to get the 6 gram number i just inputted the amount of gold and what i estimated the karat to be. In this case i believe i went with 16kt. Well i was given a handy spreadsheet that has all the calculations put in so it just gives me the information. So if i calculated it at 16kt then is 6 grams still not enough? Im currently drying out the gold now to see if the overall weight has changed. Thanks for your help!

Most placer I refined from Alaska/Pacific Northwest was about 850-930/1000 parts fine.

Lou

I'm curious as to why you would inquart placer flakes.

Wouldn't the relatively high gold concentration, and the very high surface area to density of the flakes lend itself to go directly into a dissolving solution? Especially if it was warmed and stirred while dissolving.

The main reason for inquarting is so you don't have to dissolve the gold and everything can be done in nitric. If done right you can get the gold to .995 and never need hydrochloric or a precipitant or denox.

So I can see why he tried, but the 'when in doubt add hydrochloric" logic really messed things up for him.

So an update well the gold was dried and we wait and weighed 3.26 or approximately that. Originally it weighed 3.46 then out of six grams of silver take me to nine and a half or something like that. So I lost some silver bullets in my stock pot. But the problem is since I thought I had done it right and it was pure I went ahead and melted it. It came out with a reddish copper ish tint. Now I do not believe there was any contamination in The Crucible. But anything is possible I suppose. So what is everybody think now that I should do?

Latest posts

Back