BDG question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elfixx

I read noxx's tutorial about refining with BDG but something seem unclear. BDG is supposed to be highly incompatible with nitric acid, and in the tutorial it is said to mix the solvent with the un-neutralized AR containing gold chloride. Shouldn't the AR be boiled down until all nitric is gone since you cannot use urea? And to drop the gold using oxalic acid you must heat the mix of BDG and oxalic+water to 80C for 2 hour?? Wouldn't it be time saving to simply use SMB?

And where the hell can you buy BDG?!?!??

I assume you're referring to dibutyl carbitol? I've used it to produce high purity gold in kilo quantities and it was a well behaved reaction. I never had to boil down to get rid of excess nitric but I always add nitric conservatively to avoid excesses.

I just mixed the solvent and the aqua regia in a sep funnel and mixed the two liquids. Wait for the phase separation, draw off the aqua regia leaving the gold chloride in the solvent. Rinse with HCl in sep funnel by mixing and waiting for separation. Repeat 2 or 3 times testing the HCl you draw off with Stannous chloride to confirm the gold is coming off. Now heat it and drop it with Oxalic acid. Note; Oxalic drops fluffy gold, pure but not dense.

I got my BDG from Ferro.

There are some members here that may sell you some of theirs. I think Noble Metals LLc (Steve Spevak) had some to sell a while back.

Steve

So even if there is still some free nitric in your AR and you then add the BDG that wont do anything wrong?

I never had any issues with it, but if you want, borrow a technique from Harold's bag of tricks and put a weighed piece of fine gold in the acid and let it digest until the nitric is used up. Then re-weigh the remaining gold from the piece you added so you know how much you added to the lot to kill the nitric.

4metal, you said you used alot of BDG in the past, do you still have some on hand you could sell me?

4metals said:
I assume you're referring to dibutyl carbitol? I've used it to produce high purity gold in kilo quantities and it was a well behaved reaction. I never had to boil down to get rid of excess nitric but I always add nitric conservatively to avoid excesses.

I just mixed the solvent and the aqua regia in a sep funnel and mixed the two liquids. Wait for the phase separation, draw off the aqua regia leaving the gold chloride in the solvent. Rinse with HCl in sep funnel by mixing and waiting for separation. Repeat 2 or 3 times testing the HCl you draw off with Stannous chloride to confirm the gold is coming off. Now heat it and drop it with Oxalic acid. Note; Oxalic drops fluffy gold, pure but not dense.

Do you have pics or diagrams of a production setup for BDG extraction that is scalable?.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back