Beginner books, and beyond.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We usually have pretty consistent winds coming up from the south, but, when storms come through, the gusts are outrageous. So I have been thinking on that issue quite a bit.

And, have began to wonder if a couple wind turbines (small, maybe 3 or 4 foot prop size), could be set up to a flywheel to keep a somewhat consistent rotation speed. So nothing gets burnt up from spikes.

I also considered doing a cylindrical finned wind turbine (not the best descriptor words, may have to draw a picture [which probably wouldnt help either-Im no artist])
So the wind gusts wouldnt rip off a prop or anything crazy.

Just random thoughts, for now.
I have plenty of projects to keep me busy until next spring when I want to put up the solar portion, at least.

Shark said:
Topher_osAUrus said:
Iggy-poo said:
Think of setting up shop where electricity is cheap. The household rate here is $.07 per KWH. There used to be a Chlorine plant nearby that used to supply the Paper Mills in tank car quantities. They are still trying to clean up the Mercury contamination from that one. It just about bankrupted Merck.

I am actually going to put up solar panels and a couple small self-made wind turbines to feed a battery bank, to power my shop. That way my economic footprint is as small as possible.

I wish I had a river running through my property! (Although I'm sure the government would not allow me to dam it up and use it to power my stuff. :lol: )

No dams are allowed to be built for electricity. The big companies have seen to that as well as bought a few of the small ones and dismantled them around here. You can't even use an existing dam and reinstall the generator for personal or public consumption. Wind is another one that can be used, but the nature is you need a steady wind. Winds that are erratic can pose problems, especially if they don't blow for days at a time. A local power company wanted to try wind turbines, the only suitable spot turned out to be a local landmark, and well loved by the local people. That didn't work to out to well for the company. Solar is much the same as wind, but can be used easier, (my opinion). With both wind and sun, the battery bank capacity is the major factor here. Still, on a small scale, either would be a big benefit even if it was only usable on limited a scale. Given the opportunity I want to try solar.
Solar is the way to go. I recently bought a couple of 100 Watt panels to power my new shop. I have a small solar setup that I use right now, but will soon scale-up. MY new setup will have a lot more solar exposure, so I expect it to work well. I will add more panels as needed.

I wish I had a river running through my property! (Although I'm sure the government would not allow me to dam it up and use it to power my stuff.)

If you have a stream with enough vertical drop look into pelton wheels, I generate 6 Kw a day all year round, no wind, no sun, just the crick!

4metals said:
I wish I had a river running through my property! (Although I'm sure the government would not allow me to dam it up and use it to power my stuff.)

If you have a stream with enough vertical drop look into pelton wheels, I generate 6 Kw a day all year round, no wind, no sun, just the crick!

I wish I did!
My neighbor does, however. So I may talk to her about it.
Random (kindof)
Stirling engines fascinate me, and Ive always wanted to make one.
They seem like a good way to use physics to your advantage..
I have a good spot between my house and garage where i could make the focal point for the hot side.

Shark said:
A very interesting book. I did pick up a few ideas there and need to read through it again. Those old books are like videos for me, it isn't what they want to teach sometimes, but the little useful tips that popup here and there.

Ive said it once, and I'll say it again and again.
Your copper cell thread has inspired me, shark.

So much so, that the only books I have been buying (primarily anyways) are electrolysis books (save a few, I have got ammen now, a few ipmi, gadja[stupidly], and a couple more by beamish)
15036891330371649389645.jpg

Besides your post getting me motivated, one or two by lazersteve did as well. The "no nitric" silver one, and another thread where he replied on what to do with copper nitrate.
From those, I have been exploring "renewing nitric", breakdown cells, copper sulfate cells, nitrate cells (for karat breakdown, and copper purifying)

So I gave renewing nitric a whirl, but, the threads didn't really have a whole lot of information as far as current density and optimum voltage.

The thread of Steve's also had a couple other unique things to it, like using the sterling anode. A couple of the books I have (in regards to silver cell operation), state that when the electrolyte gets fouled they remove the anode, and replace it with graphite. They also replace the cathode with a copper box, and apply higher voltage. (Actually, I cant recall off top if its e.m.f. or current they increase) and stop the electrolysis when the free acid content is high enough to start dissolving the copper powder and box.

I have tried a couple different things so far, and have featured some success, but, thats like a blind man trying to successfully describe a rainbow.
-I dont know exactly what I am supposed to be seeing at a given stage of the process, yet, anyways..

Strangely enough, a "stock pot" of copper nitrate (from sterling, cemented for 2 weeks with copper), had what seems to be more silver deposit out of solution compared to copper. Which makes me think that it ran out of free acid in solution.
-to that mix, instead of trying to melt it together, I let it dry out, and the copper oxidize. To the copper oxide, I leached it off the silver with dilute sulfuric (to make copper sulfate for my copper cell attempt)
I havent melted it yet, but that is only because I see a wee bit of copper left in the mix.

...i guess I should probably stop here, and make a thread of its own, since this is my book thread, and this really has nothing to do with my library collection

Now your starting to sound like me when I talk to myself.... all over the place :lol: :lol:

I have found some new ideas for the original cells using a computer power supply. I just need to get busy and work with it. I have a big power supply that I may try and I have another one on the way that Palladium recommended as well. I have a pdf file of a book that I would like to find as the pdf is really poor quality. I am struggling to get started with it as my eyes don't like the quality at all. It is called

The Hydrometallurgy of Copper and it's Separation from the Precious Metals by Sterry Hunt

The few pages I have read through seems interesting. I found the PDF on Archive.org

I want to try that sterling cell, I get so little sterling it makes it hard to justify working it, but if that cell will work within reason, it may be interesting. I am looking into a copper cell using a chloride based electrolyte as well.

What I really need to do is pick one and get back to working on it, :D

I still need to make a list of the reading material I have on hand, but when I start working on it I get started reading and forget what I was doing.

Shark said:
Now your starting to sound like me when I talk to myself.... all over the place :lol: :lol:
Indeed, the mind boggles at the possibilities! Boggles, I say!
I have found some new ideas for the original cells using a computer power supply. I just need to get busy and work with it. I have a big power supply that I may try and I have another one on the way that Palladium recommended as well. I have a pdf file of a book that I would like to find as the pdf is really poor quality. I am struggling to get started with it as my eyes don't like the quality at all. It is called
I have a few cpu psu's, but like to have more control over them, or at the least have a digital readout without having to run my multimeter all the time.
The Hydrometallurgy of Copper and it's Separation from the Precious Metals by Sterry Hunt
I will keep an eye out for it, if I find it I will let you know
The few pages I have read through seems interesting. I found the PDF on Archive.org

I want to try that sterling cell, I get so little sterling it makes it hard to justify working it, but if that cell will work within reason, it may be interesting. I am looking into a copper cell using a chloride based electrolyte as well.
The sterling breakdown cell is of great interest to me. Especially since nitric doesnt last long when you are dissolving pounds of it at a time. I think a rejuvenating breakdown cell would benefit my operation greatly. So greatly, I got another power source that I am going to designate specifically for it. My 2 channel will now be for fine silver and copper cell. Which, if all goes to plan, I will be melting some copper anodes this week.
What I really need to do is pick one and get back to working on it, :D

I still need to make a list of the reading material I have on hand, but when I start working on it I get started reading and forget what I was doing.
My list grows by the week. I constantly search for books I dont have, if they arent outrageously expensive, I buy them..
My rationalization is, I never know when it may come up for sale again. ...Im still kickin myself in the rear for not buying more books from jimdoc when I got my copies of Hoke from him..so now, I get any and everything I can (so long as it moderately relates to recovery and refining, or precious metals in general)

Shark said:
It is called

And here is a link : https://archive.org/details/cihm_36714

Göran

Back