Beginners mistakes

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dissolved a bunch of what I believe to be palladium silver alloy contacts, I've had them in aqua regia heating for a long time and wonder how much urea I use and when and how much water is needed also should the AR be hot or cold during neutralizing? sure would appreciate any feedback I have only urea or baking soda to neutralize with in the photo I poured some of the liquid into the ceramic bowl all the liquid was in the glass Pyrex and ehat is the grey scum floating on top before AR i boiled them in hydrochloric acid and drained it. thanksGypsy scrapper

Moses - PLEASE STOP with what you are doing here - there is just so much wrong here with what you are doing in this post of yours I don't even know where to start with trying to help you out & get you headed in the right direction

In fact EVERYTHING in this post is WRONG - & that includes the picture you posted along with this OP (Original Post) that started this thread

Just looking at that pic is scaring the holy living hell out of me !!!

And why do I say that ?

Because in just seeing the EXTREME CORROSION of your hot plate tells me that you have MANY boil overs in your attempts to dissolve metals with acids --- also I see your BARE HAND holding on to the handle of your Pyrex measuring cup - which is also crusted over with the salts from the acids you are using to dissolve metals with

You clearly do not understand the VERY TOXIC nature of doing this dissolving of metals with acids !!!!!

The chemicals we use in refining are in the first place not just corrosive - but are in fact also TOXIC in & of them selves

Then when you use those chemicals to dissolve metals the solutions you create by dissolving metals become even MORE TOXIC

As well - the fumes generated when dissolving metals are TOXIC - AND - NO - wearing a mask will NOT keep you safe from breathing those TOXIC fumes --- the mask that you "think" is protecting you is only preventing you from smelling the chemicals - the TOXIC fumes are still going through the mask & getting into your lungs

You are slowly but SURELY being POISONED !!!!!

When you grad ahold of that Pyrex measuring cup with your bare hands - which is crusted over with VERY TOXIC chemicals & metal salts you are getting those VERY TOXIC chemicals/salts on your skin - those TOXIC chems/salts are then being absorbed "into" your skin & being picked up by your blood & your blood is then carrying those TOXIC salts throughout your body & depositing them in your organs in your body (heart, liver, kidneys etc. etc.)

The boil overs of these TOXIC chemicals have now made EVERYTHING they have touched TOXIC - so EVERYTHING in the working area that you are doing this is now a TOXIC WASTE DUMP & that includes the ground/soil if those boil overs have ran into the ground soil --- so EVERY TIME you work in that area you are exposing yourself (& others) to TOXIC POISONS

Please Moses - STOP what you are doing - until you have a better understanding of just how TOXIC this is as well as a better understanding of how to go about doing this in a safe manner that will keep you from POISONING yourself & others

The very fact that you tried process silver with AR tells us that you know very little if anything at all about the recovery & refining of PMs (Precious Metals)

We can & will help you get headed in the right direction --- that is what we do here - we teach people how to recover & refine PMs - & we teach them how to do it the right way & do it SAFELY !!!

We have some of the worlds very best refiners on this forum - & though some of us a VERY skilled hobby refiners some of us are refiners that do refining as a business to make a living --- we have members here that own &/or work for small scale refining businesses to members that own &/or work for VERY LARGE WORLD CLASS refineries

And we are here to help you & most importantly we want you to learn to do this SAFELY

PLEASE - until you get a better understanding on how to do this - AND - do it safely - STOP what you are doing

I spent 2 years "learning" about this "first" --- I then spent the next 10 years doing this for a living (& have now retired from doing it)

In other words - this is not something you learn & do safely in a matter of a few weeks - it takes a great deal of study & research to get a true grasp on all of this & how to do it safely

Again ------------
I dissolved a bunch of what I believe to be palladium silver alloy contacts, I've had them in aqua regia

The very fact that you tried to process contact points with AR is a dead give away that you have A LOT learn

Trying to process contact point with AR was a HUGE mistake

Kurt

I have a question, I tried dropping some gold with zinc but I believe it brought down some copper and I don't have any nitric acid left only hcl, sulphuric acid and bleach any way to get rid of it with what I have? thanks Moses

Moses - PLEASE STOP with what you are doing here - there is just so much wrong here with what you are doing in this post of yours I don't even know where to start with trying to help you out & get you headed in the right direction

In fact EVERYTHING in this post is WRONG - & that includes the picture you posted along with this OP (Original Post) that started this thread

Just looking at that pic is scaring the holy living hell out of me !!!

And why do I say that ?

Because in just seeing the EXTREME CORROSION of your hot plate tells me that you have MANY boil overs in your attempts to dissolve metals with acids --- also I see your BARE HAND holding on to the handle of your Pyrex measuring cup - which is also crusted over with the salts from the acids you are using to dissolve metals with

You clearly do not understand the VERY TOXIC nature of doing this dissolving of metals with acids !!!!!

The chemicals we use in refining are in the first place not just corrosive - but are in fact also TOXIC in & of them selves

Then when you use those chemicals to dissolve metals the solutions you create by dissolving metals become even MORE TOXIC

As well - the fumes generated when dissolving metals are TOXIC - AND - NO - wearing a mask will NOT keep you safe from breathing those TOXIC fumes --- the mask that you "think" is protecting you is only preventing you from smelling the chemicals - the TOXIC fumes are still going through the mask & getting into your lungs

When you grad ahold of that Pyrex measuring cup with your bare hands - which is crusted over with VERY TOXIC chemicals & metal salts you are getting those VERY TOXIC chemicals/salts on your skin - those TOXIC chems/salts are then being absorbed "into" your skin & being picked up by your blood & your blood is then carrying those TOXIC salts throughout your body & depositing them in your organs in your body (heart, liver, kidneys etc. etc.)

The boil overs of these TOXIC chemicals have now made EVERYTHING they have touched TOXIC - so EVERYTHING in the working area that you are doing this is now a TOXIC WASTE DUMP & that includes the ground/soil if those boil overs have ran into the ground soil --- so EVERY TIME you work in that area you are exposing yourself (& others) to TOXIC POISONS

Please Moses - STOP what you are doing - until you have a better understanding of just how TOXIC this is as well as a better understanding of how to go about doing this in a safe manner that will keep you from POISONING yourself & others

The very fact that you tried process silver with AR tells us that you know very little if anything at all about the recovery & refining of PMs (Precious Metals)

We can & will help you get headed in the right direction --- that is what we do here - we teach people how to recover & refine PMs - & we teach them how to do it the right way & do it SAFELY !!!

We have some of the worlds very best refiners on this forum - & though some of us a VERY skilled hobby refiners some of us are refiners that do refining as a business to make a living --- we have members here that own &/or work for small scale refining businesses to members that own &/or work for VERY LARGE WORLD CLASS refineries

And we are here to help you & most importantly we want you to learn to do this SAFELY

PLEASE - until you get a better understanding on how to do this - AND - do it safely - STOP what you are doing

I spent 2 years "learning" about this "first" --- I then spent the next 10 years doing this for a living (& have now retired from doing it)

In other words - this is not something you learn & do safely in a matter of a few weeks - it takes a great deal of study & research to get a true grasp on all of this & how to do it safely

Again ------------

The very fact that you tried to process contact points with AR is a dead give away that you have A LOT learn

Trying to process contact point with AR was a HUGE mistake

Kurt
I really appreciate the advice and my question is what should I have used to dissolve them?

I have a question, I tried dropping some gold with zinc but I believe it brought down some copper and I don't have any nitric acid left only hcl, sulphuric acid and bleach any way to get rid of it with what I have? thanks Moses
Zinc brings all down.
Iron, Copper and the PMs.
That is why we use Copper to cement out the Gold.
Put your stuff away a safe place and continue your studies.

When you feel ready to continue present your plan and we will help adjust if necessary.

Edit to fix language setting.

Last edited:
Zinc Bringsværd all down.
Iron, Copper and the PMs.
That is why we use Copper to cement out the Gold.
Put your stuff away a safe place and continue your studies.

When you feel ready to continue present your plan and we will help adjust if necessary.
the reason I ask is someone told me to cement out the palladium from the silver palladium contacts that the silver wouldn't dissolve in the AR and there would be only palladium left after using zinc, and I seen someone use zinc for recovering gold didn't know copper would come down with the gold.

the reason I ask is someone told me to cement out the palladium from the silver palladium contacts that the silver wouldn't dissolve in the AR and there would be only palladium left after using zinc, and I seen someone use zinc for recovering gold didn't know copper would come down with the gold.
This is also a part that shows you are not ready to refine such dangerous things.
Now go and study, please.

…..and my question is what should I have used to dissolve them
The real answer is to not do it. You should use nothing until you fully understand the entire process from start to finish. This is why we so often suggest new people to post their plan before starting the refine. We can then pick it over and adjust it to make it a more usable method and to help avoid potential harmful steps as well.

It is easier to avoid a problem than it is to fix it.

this is a test of a solution that is hydrochloric acid that I put on powders after dropping with zinc does it look like there's any gold dissolve in the hcl which I thought hcl didn't dissolve gold thanks Moses

Attachments

• 1712344201731373236810331587884.jpg
    1712344201731373236810331587884.jpg
    898.6 KB · Views: 0
My question is I put a lot of stuff in there that had gold but I think a lot of the gold went into solution somehow most of the gold didn't come off in foils I think it dissolved, I would like yo know how to get the gold out of the vinegar peroxide thanks Moses

Attachments

• 17123445774214311735710936475863.jpg
    17123445774214311735710936475863.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
You are not answering any question, or showing improvement, but just throwing out new questions.
How about safe practices and waste treatment?
I haven't thrown anything away all is kept in containers, and here is the mask im using its for painting if it keeps paint fumes out is what I thought it was the best one I could get where I am.
You are not answering any question, or showing improvement, but just throwing out new questions.
How about safe practices and waste treatment?

Well, there's no picture, but I don't need it to say, NO, it will not protect you from acid fumes.

The filters on masks are made to protect us from certain types of fumes. The cartridges are pretty much all the same, except for the chemicals that are put in them. Some chemicals absorb paint fumes. Others absorb other chemicals. Few absorb the types of fumes we produce when refining, and they are only meant for very temporary use in case of an accidental release of fumes.

Dave

My question is I put a lot of stuff in there that had gold but I think a lot of the gold went into solution somehow most of the gold didn't come off in foils I think it dissolved, I would like yo know how to get the gold out of the vinegar peroxide thanks Moses
We asked you to put things aside and study did we not?
Vinegar is not a ting to use in refining, even at 34% it will hardly touch anything and even less so Gold.
So the Gold will be there until your studies are done.
Do not throw anything away.

this is a test of a solution that is hydrochloric acid that I put on powders after dropping with zinc does it look like there's any gold dissolve in the hcl which I thought hcl didn't dissolve gold thanks Moses
HCl do not dissolve Gold alone, and you have proved it since it is not purple.
Here is how it should look.
From LazerSteve:
1712349049036.png

If you seriously want to breath in a mask around this stuff you need an A-level, fully self contained hazmat suit. Even then you cannot directly touch many forms of acids, just the fumes. When I trained for hazmat rescue many, many years ago we had to carry a 50 pound sack of sand one mile in heat over 100 degrees to pass the final test. Including climbing 100 stairs at a 45 degree angle. At the end we would pull our boots off and measure the amount of sweat that came from them. Most people measured at 4-6 ounces. And that was only the 10-15 percent that could finish “the mile”.

Forget the mask, get a working fume hood, along with the other safety gear, (gloves etc.) learn to use it correctly and get to refining safely.

I am going to be blunt and rude.

PUT YOUR TOYS AWAY NOW! The ineptitude you have demonstrated will get you killed, or worse.

Read Hoke! Read it again! On your third time through, write down any questions you have on real paper, and bring them to the Forum for discussion.

One by one, do the acquaintance experiments found in Hoke. Preform them multiple times until you understand what to expect. Bring any questions and concerns about these experiments to the Forum.

On EVERY occasion you want to try something, write down each step, and what to expect from each step. Bring that to the Forum for discussion and, if needed, correction.

And for your own sake, QUIT PRETENDING YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

Time for more coffee.

Back