Belden 727004

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grance

Im not sure if there gold and cant find much info on them. From what I have found there some sort of disthibiltor cilp. Found about 3lbs of them in some of my grandfathers old junk

Attachments

• clips.JPG
    clips.JPG
    22 KB
I'm at aloss These have been in warm AP for more than 2 weeks now and they only got shineyer. so I think I'm going to disolve hem in acid/bleach and test it with strranos I guess but I know there not solid gold there to light so I dont know

more than likely gold over silver. scratch one with a sharp knife blade. really cut deep (just not your finger) and see if the base metal is white.

I cut a few in half so the acid could reach the base metal but there is none its the same all the way though. I was thinking there brass but brass should have some reaction in AP I would think

webflis has this on them
NSN: 5999010233157
http://www.dlis.dla.mil/webflis/pub/pub_search.aspx?niin=5999010233157&newpage=1

precious metals U-Unknown get that a lot

MATERIAL ANY ACCEPTABLE BODY

dissolve one in AR and test with stannous chloride. without a test kit, i feel like its the only way you will know for sure.

ive got to tell you, normally i try and let people work through this type of thing because ive learned that most people resent being told something isnt what they thought it would be. automotive parts is not the best place to search for PM's. look at it this way. when your grandfather bought these parts, he probably didnt pay more than a few cents apiece. a whole set of wires is still fairly cheap and the connection is not something that would cause catastrophic failure if it didnt work. im betting its just a varnish or other coating. ive never seen gold plated spark plug wire connections much less solid gold.i think Bosch has a platinum spark plug and i think i read something about silver being in very high end performance spark plug wires.

Geo said:
ive got to tell you, normally i try and let people work through this type of thing because ive learned that most people resent being told something isnt what they thought it would be. automotive parts is not the best place to search for PM's. look at it this way. when your grandfather bought these parts, he probably didnt pay more than a few cents apiece. a whole set of wires is still fairly cheap and the connection is not something that would cause catastrophic failure if it didnt work. im betting its just a varnish or other coating. ive never seen gold plated spark plug wire connections much less solid gold.i think Bosch has a platinum spark plug and i think i read something about silver being in very high end performance spark plug wires.

Geo,
I see how I leaped before looking and it's effect . I apologize for jumping in like that,.

Keith

I am be..was a mechinic in a past life and yes, they did sell custom spark plug wires with plated gold. They were extremely expensive for wires and came like what you pictured. I would guess though it is very thin with maybe bronze or steel underneath. Extremely high voltage but little amperage going through it so wouldn't need much plating. They also have PT tipped spark plugs but never heard of silver being used. I used to clip the tips of the plugs but never had enough to see or do anything with.
BS.
O, anything relating to the air bag system have gold plating contacts. Even the sensors have a gold plated metalic ball attached to a magnet. in a crash, the ball is forced into the contact which engages the air bag. The typical wire color for air bag restraint system is bright safety yellow wires.

If it were me, i would heat above 500deg C, add solder flux and solder, where by "tinning" the whole plated surface inside and out, then throw them into my air/waste acid digester, when the solder dissolves it releases the gold leaving the base metal behind intack for sale as copper/brass, I use this for all grades pins.

Deano

NoIdea said:
If it were me, i would heat above 500deg C, add solder flux and solder, where by "tinning" the whole plated surface inside and out, then throw them into my air/waste acid digester, when the solder dissolves it releases the gold leaving the base metal behind intack for sale as copper/brass, I use this for all grades pins.

Deano

Ummm Deano
I' ve been wandering about here for while... Have you ever made a full instructionalized...not institutionalized.... post for any of your processes?
I've seen quite abit about the ways you do things and have found/ figured out how you achieve what you do. But I haven't found anything complete start to finish without missing the tiny details...
You seem to be more of a pinch of this and a BaM! of that as opposed to exact cooking measurements.

BS.
Does tinning this way really strip all the gold with the tin?
And great use of spent solutions...

Latest posts

Back