Black cloud in AP

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockles

I have about 150g of silver contacts trimmed with a little copper left. I mixed about 300ml ~12% HCL and 100ml 3% H2O2 and added maybe 10g of the copper I trimmed from the contacts, just to try and get the solution going but it wasn't going green so I added all the contacts(non-magnetic) and it started turning green. Came back maybe 20 minutes later and there was a black haze/cloud around the contacts at the bottom of the solution. What could this be? I believe I have added far too much HCL and H2O2 for the amount of contacts present, is it possible it is silver chloride? I gave the glass a swirl and it disappeared.

I have about 150g of silver contacts trimmed with a little copper left. I mixed about 300ml ~12% HCL and 100ml 3% H2O2 and added maybe 10g of the copper I trimmed from the contacts, just to try and get the solution going but it wasn't going green so I added all the contacts(non-magnetic) and it started turning green. Came back maybe 20 minutes later and there was a black haze/cloud around the contacts at the bottom of the solution. What could this be? I believe I have added far too much HCL and H2O2 for the amount of contacts present, is it possible it is silver chloride? I gave the glass a swirl and it disappeared.
Probably saturated Copper Chloride.

So can I just keep on adding HCL until all the solid copper has dissolved and the black cloud no longer precipitates? I had read that copper would precipicate out white?

Thanks
The brown is not a precipitate, it is concentrated so adding either Oxygen or fresh HCl will fix it.
Are you using an air bubbler?

I have now added an airbubbler so hopefully that will keep the whole thing moving. Is it worth putting out in the sun or will this not achieve too much?

Last edited:
I have now added an airbubbler so hopefully that will keep the whole thing moving. Is it worth putting out in the sun or will this not achieve too much?
It may be faster, since all reactions are faster in the heat.
It will also evaporate faster, so one needs to keep an eye on it so it do not dry out.

Latest posts

Back