Bleach acid gold dissolver

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drone

Why isn't muriatic acid and bleach the standard to dissolve gold being that bleach can be bought at any grocery and muriatic can be gotten from most hardware stores? The cost and convenience would seem to dominate the more costly procedures? Is precipitating the gold out of the bleach and acid mixture more difficult?

The bleach method is not as fast acting as AR. It also is more voluminous than AR. Your gold must be in a very finely divided state or very thin foils for HCl-Cl to act in a workable amount of time.

For foils recovered from acid peroxide, HCl and the crockpot, or nitric acid it's great. For cold weather leaching of catalytic converters it's also very good. And as you mentioned it's very cost effective and highly available to the hobbyist.

Most guys are in such a hurry, they cut as many corners as they can and therefore prefer the fast acting AR, especially when working with karat gold and other bulk gold items like buttons. As you may come to find out in your readings here, this haste is one of the largest sources of error you will see by the majority of the members on this board.

Welcome to the forum,

Steve

I appreciate the welcome Steve, and hope to make friendships with others through our common interest, "and my last fling at self-employment", of gold refining. So when I saw that bleach could dissolve gold I just had to find out if I could be so lucky. As for now until my money gets better, I will have to search out ways to improvise with home products at first and then later own, to the proper methods. I have come across some early cell-phones, about 20 lbs. of them without the casings, the kind we had to plug into the car sockets to operate. I also was given a half a gallon of muriatic acid. As a small sample, I took a board with components still on it and soaked it in HCL (muriatic acid). Then strained and used peroxide to lift the foils. And then put bleach into the solution, and right before my eyes the foils disappeared. I need to strip off the green enamel to expose the gold underneath it. Yes I am aware that boiling lye will lift it. I wonder if I were to make my own lye ash would be strong enough?

You will find that most PCB have copper under the solder mask and not gold. There are exceptions however. If you look at the gold contact points on the PCB with a microscope or loupe you can generally see that the lead from the gold contact point is actually a different color and you can see the division between the point and the copper lead underneath the solder mask. It all depends on the application the board was going to be used for. If a PCB was going to subjected to conditions out of doors and the extemes of weather the more chance there might be gold under the solder mask. As has been stated on the forum before design engineers will not specifiy gold unless it is absolutely necessary.

Texan

Thanks Steve that cleared it up for me.
There is a whole lot of Gold on my antique cell-phone boards and I want it pure and solid.
And to reiterate, Acid+Bleach only to dissolve Gold leaf or powder.
What isn't clear to me is the Periodic Table. Where does one start to learn how to use it?

There are many online tutorials on the periodic table.

Here is just one.

http://www.csun.edu/~psk17793/G%20Chemistry/reading_the_periodic_table.htm

qst42know said:
There are many online tutorials on the periodic table.

Here is just one.

http://www.csun.edu/~psk17793/G%20Chemistry/reading_the_periodic_table.htm

Excellent and I looked all over the web to find such a place and couldn't
Thank you qst42know

That information is located in the book by C.M. Hoke. It can be found in the links below in my sig line.

captain_toker said:
its still un-clear to me how we get the gold out of the acid where do i find that info ?
You have been admonished to do some reading, so you begin to understand the basics of refining. I'm amazed that you continue to ignore good and sound advice, asking questions that are easily answered by a little effort on your part. Many of us have very little time to dedicate to the forum---it shouldn't be wasted on mundane questions that expose your lack of trying to learn.

You have been advised to read Hoke's book---likely more times that I am aware. I recommend you get on with that project and stop asking questions that have no need to be asked.

In recent posts, we have discussed the phenomenon that appears to be pervasive in today's generation---that of instant gratification and an entitlement mentality. That doesn't fly here.

Please get a grip and do your part.

Harold

wow harold u need to lighten up you think i should know where to find things if i dont ask i dont know the terms to look for im not just going to read all the posts and hope i find it i get to the point and ask people . people who ask will learn more if they know where to look dont just blindly insult smart people that are new to the site and i dont just meen me you are not almighty you my be a vetran but be nice to people you dont know you helped me make a good choice before but why be rude if i knew that info was there i probaly wouldent have even needed this site but i do have things to share but like you at one time i am learning . thanks for the prior help harold

and thank you palladium i got it now .

While I can appreciate your comments, from the perspective of those of us that try to help, there is a never ending supply of people that come to this forum and wait for information to be given to them with no effort expended on their part. Some demand that it be given, and expect that, at least to them, they are entitled, in spite of them having no useful knowledge, and not being willing to do any research. That has to come to an end----we simply can not continue to provide fundamental information that should already be known by those that have an interest in refining. That's the reason I continually tell readers to read Hoke. She introduces the novice to refining in such a way that they gain an understanding---so when they do have questions, the answers they receive will make sense to them. Best of all, she provides excellent guidance in testing and in making test solutions, so readers will understand what they have, instead of posting questions that generally can't be answered because they often withhold pertinent information, or ignore good and proper procedures because they pursue that which they want to believe, not that which is known to work. Like it or not, Hoke puts us on a common page, so we all understand the topic being discussed. She is the one that teaches the likes of you (and me) how to walk, so we can then run. Does that make sense to you?

You provided an excellent example of your bone headedness yesterday when you challenged being told that you should not melt in metallic vessels, and provided what was, to you, evidence that your position is solid. You went to great lengths to provide your intentions, ignoring information posted by one of the most valuable members of the forum (4metals). It was for that reason I asked you to either pay attention to good advice tendered, or to silently pursue your goal, so others don't get the wrong impression. As I suggested in my comments, we try to avoid misleading information on this forum. That is not going to change, so I suggest you get used to the idea and start paying attention why harebrained ideas you post are met with a challenge.

I've been on this forum since its inception. There has been a steady stream of readers that have questions that refuse to do any research---and are often at odds with anything they are told that is not in keeping with what they hope to hear. At some point, that has to end, otherwise there's no reason for people like me to be on the forum. If our words have no value, and readers insist on pursuing their notions---then take exception to being reigned in---I clearly have no need to be here---although I won't speak for others. The tone of your posts reflects exactly what I'm talking about. You need an attitude adjustment, and I'm the one that can do that for you very easily. The choice is yours.

What needs to happen is for you to start reading and stop talking. Until you understand the things that most of us have learned by expending great effort, do not come to this forum and pretend to be the inured party because you are amongst those that I have described.

So then, I expect that you're going to start reading Hoke, then when you post a question, I expect that you'll understand what you are being told, and why.

While I'm on a roll, please use capitalization and punctuation where appropriate, when you post. If you don't have enough consideration for others and make your posts easily read, why should anyone spend their valuable time trying to help you?

Readers, here, gain a huge amount of knowledge that has, up to now, been very difficult to obtain. I hope you understand the gift that has been placed before you in this forum.

Harold

well your attitude makes you a punk dont judge people by the questions they asked or the ideas they have . this is a discussion bord right where questions are asked and hopefuly answered . i ask for help not demand it unlike you who seems to demand people to do what you say . i got the help i needed for the most part and i will ask more questions and i will learn what i can from it . a wise man once said if man askes no question then no answer will be gotten .

ps my puncuation is bad because you are rude and disrespectful of those who are not as wise as you in this feild get some respect for other people . if you dont agree with someone then say why dont insult them . you answer if you want to you are not forced to respond

Your punctuation was bad long before I became :"disrespectful", so you can lose that weak excuse for your poor manners.

I'm going to give you the opportunity to retract your comments. You can do that by asking a moderator to delete this post, or you can do that by sending me a PM, or posting in this same thread.

Did you notice the post under this one? The one that said "Incoming"?

My job on this forum is to keep it running smoothly----which includes banning anyone that doesn't heel. You have been given fair warning. Your attitude is not going to be tolerated. You live by the rules of the board, or you live without being able to post on the board. The board will go on as usual, with or without you as a reader. All of us know this is the only place on the internet where you can gain the knowledge needed to refine with success. As I said, the choice is yours!

Next move may be checkmate.

Harold

Now that is the Harold we love around here!
You Captain_Toker, will not be missed if you don't chill out and learn.
If Harold or any other moderator calls you out, it is for a reason. They are not here to pick on anyone. Just to make things civil and safe.
I have guessed many new members early departures. You I see still have a chance, but I can't say for sure, because you just may blow it. I say 50-50 at this point, your call.

Jim

Captain Toker. There are NO other resources or compilations of information available on the topic of precious metal refining ANYWHERE on this planet that come even fractionally close to the massive amounts of information available on this site. YOU HAVE FOUND THE HOLY GRAIL for refiners. If you really want to learn, loose the teenage type blog attitude, Attend this site like it is the ultimate university of precious metals, And attend any one who WILLINGLY gives of their free time to you as the professors of this craft.

I cannot stress enough you WILL NOT find this information ANY WHERE else in one place ANYWHERE.

The Information available here can guide you on a course of massive success if you choose to play by the rules, so swallow your pride, man up and do what Harold asks and begin a fascinating journey into the world of precious metal refining.

Disagreeing sparks many an interesting discourse on methods and operations.

Disrespecting allows one the opportunity to stand on the outside looking in and wondering what happened.

Don't piss off the professors. No one wins.

glondor said:
Disagreeing sparks many an interesting discourse on methods and operations.

Disrespecting allows one the opportunity to stand on the outside looking in and wondering what happened.

Don't piss off the professors. No one wins.

I couldn't have put it any better. I would rather listen to (read) the comments of someone who knows what they are talking about than bother with the comments of disrepectful wanna be!

if you all think i desrespected anyone then remove me i did nothing but give my peice of mind that he disagreed with . thats all i dont have to put up with harassment there is a place called unlv . nobody will learn anything if they do not ask . im not an english major . im a captain . peace out

Latest posts

Back