Blue Clay

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I just joined the forum a couple of days ago, I'm kinda late in answering your problem.
You should learn how to fire assay your prospects yourself. Use the pro assayers only after you have beads or buttons from your own. The pro assay report is needed to find financing for your project. Angel investors won't take your word for it. As far as "Blue clay" is concerned; read up on the history of the Comstock Lode. The heavy, blue sands and clays clogged their sluices and was a real pain until someone decided to fire assay some of the concentrates. The concentrates averaged 3000 oz's of silver per ton and up to 3 oz's of gold. Elsewhere, in Missouri, a blue clay was discovered that was linerite (I'm sure i spelled it wrong) A lead/Silver/copper mineral that contained up to 20% silver and traces of gold. I personally believe that the "Lost Dutchman"s mine never existed, but was the result of using blue/black earth to surround the Dutchman's camp fires.
I have also noticed (over the decades) that natural "Horn Silver" turns blue in strong light prior to turning black. I hope this has helped you. Dr. Poe

Dr. Poe said:
I personally believe that the "Lost Dutchman"s mine never existed, but was the result of using blue/black earth to surround the Dutchman's camp fires.

Dr. Poe

Doc---

Your hypothesis about the Lost Dutchman Mine is interesting.

There are currently existing samples, allegedly of the Dutchman's ore, which are a pinkish quartz, with visable gold strands.

It sounds like you may be on to something of importance, to both prospectors as well as treasure hunters.

Would you expand on the premise for your blue/black earth theory?

OK. I'll elaborate: All metals when granulated pass through a variety of colors until black. Gold especially.
Gold yellow, golden brown, dark brown, reddish brown, reddish purple (mauve), dark blue, and finally black.
Colloidal gold suspended in glass is at first colorless until it's annealed. Then the colors appear differing according to the particle size and quantity of gold. When a gold salt is fused with an oxidizing glass, it dissolves forming colorless ions.
If any base metals are present, the gold precipitates colloidally and forms the colors gold, brown, red, mauve, blue as the particle sizes decrease. I once helped dig a septic line. The 'poop' tube which had deep ridges had a thin line of blue which
was so heavy that it appeared to be almost painted on to it. Cuppellation proved it to be gold. I told a friend about this and he told his boss at the water treatment plant. The next year the water treatment plant (sewage) had installed a gold recovery unit. I'm very familiar with the calderas of Arizona. The Superstition mountain ores of gold are usually orange , reddish brown, white or black. Green, blue, bluish green usually occur when copper and silver predominate.
As far as quartz speckled with yellow gold spots or streaks go, pick up a piece of quartz almost anywhere in Arizona (even in the cities) and a low powered microscope will reveal the gold. Before technology was advanced enough to leach gold economically, the huge tailings piles were sold as if plain gravel to the state and municipalities like Phoenix and Mesa. When this became well known, The BLM ruled that any "rock hound" may pick up and keep a limited amount. I think that it was 250 pounds a year and that fossils were included.
The Dutchman found nuggets which is extremely rare even in Arizona. I sometimes visualize his camp fire surrounded by
gold ore dripping carbon reduced krenerite as gold droplets into his fire. Then come morning, the Dutchman panning or willowing his ashes. I'm Dr. Poe, geochemist

Doc, that is quite interesting !!! It actually explains alot. It is great to have someone added to our group that has some experience and expertise. Welcome !!!

It is a known fact that the so called Dutchman was a
known high grader,and was fired from the Vulture Mine
for stealing high grade ore. His stash of gold matched
the ore from the Vulture.

I doubt that his campfires got hot enough to melt any
gold. For one thing several people spent lots of time trying
to follow him,plus the place had some unfriendly Natives.
Not exactly the place to be building big camp fires,if you
are being watched,and followed.Smoke in the desert can
travel a long way,and big flames are easy to see. If he was
as crafty as claimed,I would bet if he did have a campfire,
it would have been small.

I can't feature anyone digging blue clay to build a fire ring
when there is plenty rocks. Plus camping on blue clay ain't
the brightest idea either.

sawmill---

That is an old story about the Dutchman highgrading. I don't remember the specifics, but some people had the remaining ore analysed by "experts" (I think it was a University), and it didn't come close to matching any other mining operation in the areas around where Jacob Waltz was known to live.

A Google search would likely bring up the specifics about how the testing took place.

eeTHer

I suggest that you do some research too.
There is known specimen gold from the Vulture mine,that has
been certified. It is a pretty rose quartz with lumps and strings
of gold. Pretty much like you described in your above post.

Contrary to some ideas,there really was a Jacob Waltz,and
there is still public records ,and documents on file. There is
no records that document any testing ,or any real proof that
he even had any real gold at his time of death other than a
few samples in a candle box. These could have came from
any where. He also prospected in La Paz Az,California and
Georgia. For some reason his famous mine wasn't even a
big deal,until after his death,and his so called caretaker
started selling maps at $7.00 a piece.

There is proof that he did prospect,and had claims in the
general area as the Vulture,and other places. Why would
an experienced miner and prospector,not bother to claim
a rich mine? My guess would be that he never found one.
Personally I wouldn't waste time looking for something that
is mostly made up from BS stories and fake maps. :lol:

Dr. Poe said:
"I once helped dig a septic line. The 'poop' tube which had deep ridges had a thin line of blue which
was so heavy that it appeared to be almost painted on to it. Cuppellation proved it to be gold. I told a friend about this and he told his boss at the water treatment plant. The next year the water treatment plant (sewage) had installed a gold recovery unit."

Please tell us more about this. How would the gold end up concentrated in sewerage lines?

Thank you

Ocean said:
Dr. Poe said:
"I once helped dig a septic line. The 'poop' tube which had deep ridges had a thin line of blue which
was so heavy that it appeared to be almost painted on to it. Cuppellation proved it to be gold. I told a friend about this and he told his boss at the water treatment plant. The next year the water treatment plant (sewage) had installed a gold recovery unit."

Please tell us more about this. How would the gold end up concentrated in sewerage lines?

Thank you

If you wear a Gold Ring, every time you wash your hands, a tiny bit of Gold goes into the sewers. In India, people pan the sewers in jewelry manufacturing areas and make a living from the Gold they find. Sewers tend to be a strongly reducing environment with lots of H2S. Any Gold Salts from corrosion or Metal Finishing operations would likely precipitate out and settle in the Sewer Pipes.

sawmill said:
eeTHer

I suggest that you do some research too.
There is known specimen gold from the Vulture mine,that has
been certified. It is a pretty rose quartz with lumps and strings
of gold. Pretty much like you described in your above post.

There are treasure hunting forums which contain much documentation of what you posted. Some of the documentation has proven to be falsified, too.

There are many legends and stories about Jake, and some are contradictory. Some of the originators have even confessed to fabricating their stories---some from long ago, and even some more recent.

I'm aware of everything you posted, except for the samples from the Vulture. Can you give a link to the documentation on that?

I'm not sure if this is really on-topic here, so maybe you should PM it.

Thanks!

Dr. Poe said:

Ocean said:

Thank you

notch said:
If you wear a Gold Ring, every time you wash your hands, a tiny bit of Gold goes into the sewers. In India, people pan the sewers in jewelry manufacturing areas and make a living from the Gold they find. Sewers tend to be a strongly reducing environment with lots of H2S. Any Gold Salts from corrosion or Metal Finishing operations would likely precipitate out and settle in the Sewer Pipes.

What you proably dug was a sewer line and the pipe you describe sounds like cement sewer pipe. A septic line would be in conjunction with a septic tank. It would generaly be the line from the building structure to the septic tank. The line leaving the tank are known as leach lines if installed as a leach field. Generaly concrete lines have not been installed in the last 30 years to much of a degree if any.

The concrete pipe should be acidic by nature and can also possibly produce small amounts of electrical current and can also conduct electricty. If I remember correctly in the National Electrical code book it is allowed or required ( I don't remember the exact wording ) to run a ground wire from the concrete building pad to the building structure for grounding purposes, in a discussion during the last refresher class it was determined that this was because the commitee considered the concrete as an electrical ground conductor.

Now put these properties of concrete, electrical current, and varrying soil conditions around our planet in the ground and almost anything is possible I would guess.

Around here we just call the grey mud "GUMBO", it in itself is acidic by nature as well and as far as I know holds no PM's of any quantity except what has flowed down the Missippi River over the centuries before it changed course before the last major earth quake.

But to say that the City installed the gold recovery unit because of the grey mud you found or delt with would be highly unlikely because the mud you described should be on the outside of the pipe not the inside of the pipe.

The City would recover more gold, silver and other metals from rings, watches and chains run thru and chopped up by garbage disposal's, sewage pump's and city's lift station pump's than from what would be washed off during the cleaning of your hands.

Now if PM refineries are located in the city that might be a different story. But in the average small city I would say it would not be justified. But if you throw in the possability that your city runs it's rain water run off thru the treatment facility then you have to add the possible PM's from auto cat's and other items dropped and lost on the streets to deal with. This is a lot of material to process and I really don't think the cost versus recovery would be justified.

IMHO

Back