Blue Crystals?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AugieDoggie

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone had this happen. First Yes.. I melted pins, no need to point out that mistake. I own it. Moving along. I took the melted pins and made cornflake out of them. I placed them in the beaker added H2O and heated, then, added an equal amount of Nitric ( 70%) . I let this heat at around 240deg F for about an hour or two. then let it cool over night in my fume hood.
Well this morning I went to the shop and opened the fume hood and the other batches came out fine ( unmelted pins, fair amount of 14-18kt flakes, Ill let you know the yield of that in another post.)
But.. In the batch with the twice melted flake I found two egg shaped lumps of very pretty blue crystals about 2-3 cm in length each. I am curious as to what this could be.
Thank you for any assistance you can provide in a possible identification on these.
Feed stock was ( melted pins) that had been gold plate over copper core. Telcom stuff from the 80's

Copper nitrate crystals

when you heated the solution apparently you evaporated enough water that it allowed copper nitrate crystals to form after it cooled --- ad water & they will dissolve again - hot water will speed up the dissolving

Kurt

Thank you Kurt.
Your my first " non hostile" response on this forum . If ever you need anything related to recovery or refining ( materials) let me know.
I did put a call in to a friend. He is the prof at LSU. Chemistry department. I sent him photos and he was impressed by my mistake. They had been very beautiful. Cobalt blue and rather large. :cry: sad to see them go. I

Latest posts

Back