Blue metal hydroxide from chloride solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lola

Supporting Member
I find data that blue hydroxide can give copper oxide and cobalt. I extracted this powder from the HCl solution when cleaning the ore for further processing. Is copper oxide found in nature in sand so that HCl can melt it, or is it cobalt or something else? Is cobalt hydroxide flammable or explosive in air in powder form?

Attachments

• met. hydrok. from clor, solut..jpg
    met. hydrok. from clor, solut..jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
I find data that blue hydroxide can give copper oxide and cobalt. I extracted this powder from the HCl solution when cleaning the ore for further processing. Is copper oxide found in nature in sand so that HCl can melt it, or is it cobalt or something else? Is cobalt hydroxide flammable or explosive in air in powder form?
Once again, HCl or acids do not Melt anything.
It dissolves metals and salts.
Copper Oxide dissolves in Strong Acids (HCl) as does Copper Carbonate and so on.

Once again, HCl or acids do not Melt anything.
It dissolves metals and salts.
Copper Oxide dissolves in Strong Acids (HCl) as does Copper Carbonate and so on.
Please be nice. Google translator confuses the words melt and soluble, it's not my fault. So can you answer the question posed in the post? It is about the first washing of ore, more precisely in hydrochloric acid. I am also asking for an answer as to whether cobalt hydroxide powder is explosive or flammable in air?

Please be nice. Google translator confuses the words melt and soluble, it's not my fault. So can you answer the question posed in the post? It is about the first washing of ore, more precisely in hydrochloric acid. I am also asking for an answer as to whether cobalt hydroxide powder is explosive or flammable in air?
I'm trying to get people to use terminology that belongs to Chemistry, and we have had this discussion before.
No to my Knowledge Co2 is not flammable and it is Pinkish Violet, not blue.
Why do you expect Cobalt in there?
Cobalt metals do not dissolve in Hydroxides to my knowledge.
Cobalt metal is combustible.
What and how are you processing now?

I came across almost yellow sand. I would like to know if he is selling gold or other precious metals. There is a considerable amount of this blue powder. thanks
Most of the time Gold in nature is not Yellow and most of the Yellow substances are not Gold.

Please..
After washing the ore in HCl acid, the ore is then exposed to AR, filtered, washed and exposed to strong chlorine. Filtered again and as samples in a couple of drops of solution added KOH in one spoon and SMB in the other and they give the same color of precipitate. What metal could it be?

Attachments

• xy.jpg
    xy.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
Please..
After washing the ore in HCl acid, the ore is then exposed to AR, filtered, washed and exposed to strong chlorine. Filtered again and as samples in a couple of drops of solution added KOH in one spoon and SMB in the other and they give the same color of precipitate. What metal could it be?
Lola, nice color.
If I was to work with ore(s), I would get them analyzed for their mineral content if it interested me so much.
Then you may possibly be able to understand your own research a little better.
I'm thinking that there is a plethora of variables.
Also if you possibly post more pictures of ores or sands and maybe general area photos others could relate a little easier.

There has been no mention of testing with stannous chloride. If you have treated the sand with aqua regia and the liquor is the orange color shown, your first test should be a stannous test.

Guessing a metals identity based on color of solution or color of the hydroxides will eventually lead to false speculation.

Lola, nice color.
If I was to work with ore(s), I would get them analyzed for their mineral content if it interested me so much.
Then you may possibly be able to understand your own research a little better.
I'm thinking that there is a plethora of variables.
Also if you possibly post more pictures of ores or sands and maybe general area photos others could relate a little easier.
Here are photos in bright and slightly darkened to highlight the shiny particles more. After the entire treatment, the sand remained completely colorless.

Attachments

• s 1.jpg
    s 1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
There has been no mention of testing with stannous chloride. If you have treated the sand with aqua regia and the liquor is the orange color shown, your first test should be a stannous test.

Guessing a metals identity based on color of solution or color of the hydroxides will eventually lead to false speculation.
I haven't really worked with metals for a long time due to other commitments. I didn't even try to use stannous chloride because it expired. I tried to extract possible gold with FeSO4, if there is any, but it was already oxidized, then I used SMB in the same solution. I got some dark powder most of which dissolved in the hydrochloric acid so I think it's that part of the oxidized FeSO4. Then, as a rescue, I went to collect everything with KOH and got a lot of dark green powder - again, this means that part belongs to the reducer I was working with. I will soluble that powder and process it again.

The powder in the spoons was made after exposing the ore to HCL, filtering, washing and then AR, separating the complete solution, washing in several waters and then exposure to chlorine.

Rhodium powder is white. This may be some of the other PGM metals insoluble in AR.
I read that osmium is found along with copper, but I still have to determine if this in the picture in the opening post is copper.

Can you get someone to maybe XRF this to give you an idea if what is in this sand?
You need some sort of analyze to know whether it is worth your time.
Also when using acids as it was stated you need stannous for some tests.
Then your precipitate using SMB is not showing any gold.

Can you get someone to maybe XRF this to give you an idea if what is in this sand?
You need some sort of analyze to know whether it is worth your time.
Also when using acids as it was stated you need stannous for some tests.
Then your precipitate using SMB is not showing any gold.
It is certainly worth the effort because after exposure to AR, there is at least one chlorine-extracted metal shown on the spoons.
I made this yesterday and today out of curiosity to see what is inside such sand.
I will prepare better for the next time.

Xrf work not at low prices in major cities.

There is very little brown powder left, so much so that I lose the will to work. I will dissolve the precipitate extracted with KOH and reprocess. There is a lot of it, but FeSO4, which I tried to work with, probably works.

Last edited:
At the stage of the process where you are now, we all speak in terms of stannous results here. There are other members who specialize in pre treatments of ores and they may be able to chime in here and help you.

Gold: A test known as Darton's is believed to be a valuable means of detecting minute quantities of gold in rocks, ore tailings, etc. "Small parts are chipped from all the sides of a mass of rock, amounting in all to about | ounce. This is powdered in a steel mortar and well mixed. About half is placed in a capacious test tube, and then the tube is partly filled with a solution made by dissolving 20 gr. of iodine and 30 gr. of iodide of potassium, in about 10 ounces water. The mixture thus formed is shaken and warmed. After all particles have subsided, dip a piece of fine White filter paper in it; allow it to remain for a moment ; then let it drain, and dry it over the spirit lamp. It is next placed upon a piece of platinum foil held in a pincers, and heated to redness over the flame. The paper is speedily consumed; and after again heating to burn off all carbon, it is allowed to cool and is then examined. If at all purple, gold is present in the ore, and the relative amount may be approximately deduced. This method takes little time, and is trustworthy." If positive, then spend some money to get a fire assay.

Latest posts

Back