Blue metal hydroxide from chloride solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gold: A test known as Darton's is believed to be a valuable means of detecting minute quantities of gold in rocks, ore tailings, etc. "Small parts are chipped from all the sides of a mass of rock, amounting in all to about | ounce. This is powdered in a steel mortar and well mixed. About half is placed in a capacious test tube, and then the tube is partly filled with a solution made by dissolving 20 gr. of iodine and 30 gr. of iodide of potassium, in about 10 ounces water. The mixture thus formed is shaken and warmed. After all particles have subsided, dip a piece of fine White filter paper in it; allow it to remain for a moment ; then let it drain, and dry it over the spirit lamp. It is next placed upon a piece of platinum foil held in a pincers, and heated to redness over the flame. The paper is speedily consumed; and after again heating to burn off all carbon, it is allowed to cool and is then examined. If at all purple, gold is present in the ore, and the relative amount may be approximately deduced. This method takes little time, and is trustworthy." If positive, then spend some money to get a fire assay.
Thanks for the recipe for this test, but I don't even have a platinum band yet. I will get it. Thank you very much

Please..
After washing the ore in HCl acid, the ore is then exposed to AR, filtered, washed and exposed to strong chlorine. Filtered again and as samples in a couple of drops of solution added KOH in one spoon and SMB in the other and they give the same color of precipitate. What metal could it be?
That blue-green hydroxide and livid orange color after oxidation looks like chromium to me.

Anytime I start from a natural material and extract a lot of some product, my first thought is 'which base metal is this?'.

That blue-green hydroxide and livid orange color after oxidation looks like chromium to me.

Anytime I start from a natural material and extract a lot of some product, my first thought is 'which base metal is this?'.

The precipitate is still yellow in color, the solution after reduction is orange. Why is orange highlighted on the spoons and yellow when processing the rest of the solution. By standing in the air, the color turns slightly orange again and the powder is soluble in water.
By reading I find that osmium tetroxide is yellow in color and soluble in water.
Maybe it's something else.

Chromium is soluble in dilute hydrochloric acid. The ore was treated with hydrochloric acid at the very start, and this is the result after exposure to chlorine after AR

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
The precipitate is still yellow in color, the solution after reduction is orange. Why is orange highlighted on the spoons and yellow when processing the rest of the solution. By standing in the air, the color turns slightly orange again and the powder is soluble in water.
By reading I find that osmium tetroxide is yellow in color and soluble in water.
Maybe it's something else.

Chromium is soluble in dilute hydrochloric acid. The ore was treated with hydrochloric acid at the very start, and this is the result after exposure to chlorine after AR
The powder does not soluble in water because it is osmium, but because it is extracted from SMB. I had to sleep to remember.

SMB as a precipitator for this powder is not good because it is precipitated from a chlorine solution, so the powder cannot be washed either in water or in hydrochloric acid because it soluble

SMB as a precipitator for this powder is not good because it is precipitated from a chlorine solution, so the powder cannot be washed either in water or in hydrochloric acid because it soluble
It has nothing to do with SMB, but anything that precipitates from a water solution has to be "insoluble" in water.
All the water soluble salts, are still in the water as long as it is not crashing out because it is saturated.

This time I pulled it out with KOH. It does not dissolve in water. It dissolves in acids. Any guesses or maybe you know what the metal powder is supposed to be? Can this metal hydroxide be melt?

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Are Chloride the only Halide present here or is it a mix?
How was this created?
Yes, only chlorides are present. Created as described at the beginning of the post. The ore is exposed to the action of HCl, washed several times, then exposed to the action of AR, washed several times and subjected to the action of chlorine. From the pure solution, I extracted the KOH powder in the photo and washed the rest of the ore from the chlorine with plenty of water so that there were no losses, and exposed it to heat to reduce the solution and release the chlorine. These salt crystals were formed by evaporation. Since I didn't work with distilled water in the end, it is possible that some impurities are present, but mainly metal extracted with chlorine prevails. I assume that the impurities affect the color a little, but you can see the yellow orange... and it seems to pull a little on the brown. Apart from chlorine, no other chemistry is present.

Yes, only chlorides are present. Created as described at the beginning of the post. The ore is exposed to the action of HCl, washed several times, then exposed to the action of AR, washed several times and subjected to the action of chlorine. From the pure solution, I extracted the KOH powder in the photo and washed the rest of the ore from the chlorine with plenty of water so that there were no losses, and exposed it to heat to reduce the solution and release the chlorine. These salt crystals were formed by evaporation. Since I didn't work with distilled water in the end, it is possible that some impurities are present, but mainly metal extracted with chlorine prevails. I assume that the impurities affect the color a little, but you can see the yellow orange... and it seems to pull a little on the brown. Apart from chlorine, no other chemistry is present.
Then there are Nitrates and Hydroxides present not only Chlorides.
Why are you processing this way and where did you find these procedures?
You clean the "sand" with HCl possibly removing some base metals, then you dissolve all metals in AR for then subjecting it to Chlorine?
How??? Why??
There should not be any metals left after AR.

What do you do with your waste again?

Then there are Nitrates and Hydroxides present not only Chlorides.
Why are you processing this way and where did you find these procedures?
You clean the "sand" with HCl possibly removing some base metals, then you dissolve all metals in AR for then subjecting it to Chlorine?
How??? Why??
There should not be any metals left after AR.

What do you do with your waste again?

No, just chlorine, water, and dissolved metals from the ore. I did not put KOH in the ore, but in the eastern solution. This part of the solution was created from the additional washing of the ore at the end.

I have no waste. Everything is useful.

Why do I work in such a way? To explore everything there is in the ore. I don't throw anything away. I don't want someone to export me for precious metals under the pretext of some waste.

No, just chlorine, water, and dissolved metals from the ore. I did not put KOH in the ore, but in the eastern solution. This part of the solution was created from the additional washing of the ore at the end.

I have no waste. Everything is useful.
After AR there will be no more metals, there can be minerals or oxides but these will be inaccessible to any kind of leaching without transforming them to metals.

Latest posts

Back