Recover silver from Silver Potassium Cyanide

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we do have fume hood, and protective equipment
How about Cyanide testers and first aid equipment and training?

Your questions so far, indicate that you have little understanding of this topic.

What volumes will you be treating?

How about Cyanide testers and first aid equipment and training?

Your questions so far, indicate that you have little understanding of this topic.

What volumes will you be treating?
no cyanide tester but first aid equipment and training is provided.

We have 5 liter from the cyanide plating. Yes i have little knowledge on precious metals recovery. Basically i do lab analysis to get the gold and silver concentration by using ICP-OES. I would like to learn more on the silver and gold recovery process from Au, Ag reclaim cyanide solution.

no cyanide tester but first aid equipment and training is provided.

We have 5 liter from the cyanide plating. Yes i have little knowledge on precious metals recovery. Basically i do lab analysis to get the gold and silver concentration by using ICP-OES. I would like to learn more on the silver and gold recovery process from Au, Ag reclaim cyanide solution.
What do you usually do with the plating solution after use?

The solution is from Au & Ag plating process. After the process the solution (Au & Ag residues remain in solution) is send to full recovery facilities for full recovery

To learn how the recovery process is done from cyanide solution
Activated Carbon is another way to remove Ag/Au from pregnant cyanide solutions, but it involves a lot more chemistry, and apparatus. Probably not the way to go for such a small amount, but the preferred way of a large mine leaching process.

To learn how the recovery process is done from cyanide solution
As long as you keep the pH higher than 10 it is fine to use Zinc to cement it out.
Then wash the powder until it is about 7 pH in the wash water and you can use dilute HCl to dissolve any excess Zinc.

As long as you keep the pH higher than 10 it is fine to use Zinc to cement it out.
Then wash the powder until it is about 7 pH in the wash water and you can use dilute HCl to dissolve any excess Zinc.
NB You will still have Cyanide in it. Do all these steps outside in the wind, or in a fume cabinet. The first time I saw Nick do this in his original way I took flight ;)

Be careful.

NB You will still have Cyanide in it. Do all these steps outside in the wind, or in a fume cabinet. The first time I saw Nick do this in his original way I took flight ;)

Be careful.
They do have a fume hood and the personnel is trained, we are talking about 5 liters.
Until now they have been sending it out for processing.
So if you have washed the cement to pH 7after Zinc treatment, there will still be significant levels of Cyanide?

They do have a fume hood and the personnel is trained, we are talking about 5 liters.
Until now they have been sending it out for processing.
So if you have washed the cement to pH 7after Zinc treatment, there will still be significant levels of Cyanide?
I'm unsure of what "washed to pH 7" means Ygg? Unless you've destroyed it you will have residual Cyanide on the metal even if it's small quantities. After all if you keep washing it then you're generating more and more CN waste water so you might as well destroy the CN straight away and generate much less waste.

I should have read the thread better regarding safety but if they have all the precautions then drain the powder and destroy it in one hit. Takes a while though but you end up with an acidic solution of Zinc Chloride.

I'm unsure of what "washed to pH 7" means Ygg? Unless you've destroyed it you will have residual Cyanide on the metal even if it's small quantities. After all if you keep washing it then you're generating more and more CN waste water so you might as well destroy the CN straight away and generate much less waste.

I should have read the thread better regarding safety but if they have all the precautions then drain the powder and destroy it in one hit. Takes a while though but you end up with an acidic solution of Zinc Chloride.
Yes I see that now.
My intention was that the majority of the Cyanide needs to be washed off, but maybe plain destruction with Hypochlorite and/or Peroxide will be more efficient.
Anyway, it needs to be done in a proper fume hood and proper protective gear.

Back