bright gold ceramic paint

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etack

I bought a ceramic kiln today and was given all the glazes and and molds for it. When going thought the boxes I came across about 10 bottles of the Bright gold ceramic paint. I know its been discussed on here before but I can't locate it. I only get GSPs info that it contains 10%-11% by weight. What I want is information on processing it.

What I thought to do was let it dry on some of the furniture that came with the kiln then bake it to see if it leaves gold then chip it off and put in AR.

or do you think I can just put it in a melting dish and heat it up like that.

I only paid 100.00 for the kiln and all so if I get any thing that would be real cool. The kiln is too large for what I needed but I really wanted it so I could build my own from the parts. All the furniture is going up on ebay. That stuff is expensive to buy so I hope I can recoup all my money. :lol:

I also came with 1Pt and 1Ag

Eric

You could always paint it on to an old ceramic plate, fire it, then remove the PM with the appropriate acid leach.

I'd suggest incineration to remove all the oils and other combustable material first and then a good soak in hot sulphuric, in a hood, rinse carefully and dissolve with AR.

nickvc said:
then a good soak in hot sulphuric

hi nick and irons thanks for the replys.

Nick why the sulphuric acid is it to eliminate any extra oils?

Also I ended up with 3 Pt vials so if anyone wants to run some tests let me know.

I also found another 3.5 oz of gold with the Hanovia pen. then I found in the box 4 sterling silver lunt nut dishes best hundred I spent this month. 8)

Eric

Eric sulphuric is good at removing organics, I would use it diluted to around 50% but use it hot, the more rubbish you can remove the better before refining the gold as usual.

There is a way to reduce that to it's elemental form, I forget where I read it but it is possible.

Otherwise, Irons suggestion would be the easiest. All you would have to do is paint it on glass or ceramic, then immerse it in HCl/Cl and it will strip right off, then drive off the Cl and precipitate as usual. I purchased large lot of glassware, ceramics, etc that had gold gilding all over. I used HCl/Cl to strip the gold and was pleasantly surprised at the results. HCl/Cl removes that type of gold from glassware/ceramics almost instantly.

Scott

I looked at it today and it was all dried up so I scraped what I could and put it in a melting dish and melted it with cemented. there was still allot left in the bottles after the scraping so I put it in denatured alcohol that turned what was left into a floating powdery precipitate. On second thought I feel like fingernail polish remover would have been better. I found a bottle of it expo facto and the bottom had thick layer at the bottom of it. when the gold paint is all dissolved from the bottles I will filter and incinerate it and add it to the silver from before then I will reclaim the gold from it then. from what I've done this isn't looking like more than a gram.

thanks for the suggestions.

Eric

I now have 4+ Pt jars if anyone wants to play

Eric

Latest posts

Back