Buying furnace and scale..Help?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LibertyRising

Hi everyone! I'm very new and still learning but found a scale "Tanita Professional Digital Mini Scale" that says it's the worlds 1st legal for trade mini. I also found an electric furnace "Wenesco models MPM1B & MPM1C". I have read multi posts and haven't seen these companies or products mentioned so I'm a bit concerned. Are they lgt? I'm not capable of building my own. If they aren't the best I can find, can u give me some ideas or products to look up? Thanks so much...I love the forum!

Buying a furnace and scale

My personal experiences and those of some others who used an electric furnace were not good. The fluxes used damaged the elements inside the furnace. It's normal to get a glaze on the furnace walls. This is why I use gas and a cylindrical furnace (sometimes called a Cooper over here). I have built this type of furnace and a cubic one. There are general rules of thumb.
There are a number of other ways (techniques)to smelt or melt metals.

Also I use gun scales as these are more precise and weigh in grains.

Regards,
Donnybrook

I use a homemade propane furnace sometimes, but I find a torch much more useful for most all what I do, I use acetylene oxygen, Mapp gas, and cheap hand held propane torch.

The handheld propane mostly used for incineration (along with hotplate or propane stove). The reason this is my choice is that incineration gas can ruin a torch after much use.

The Mapp gas torch is a little more expensive, but can melt silver and gold (melting environment is important to success here (heat loss).

The acetylene oxygen is a wonderful all around tool for me not only for melting but welding and cutting jobs.

The best all around tool for someone starting out (on small scale) in my opinion would be a cheap propane handheld, and good Mapp gas torch and one of Laser Steves furnaces, get some of his melting dishes also.

I do not understand someone saying they cannot make a furnace; my only thinking here is that they must just lack confidence, or understand how simple a furnace can be.

You could build one out of many things; I could make one out of two truck brake drums and some refractory mud.

You can stack fire brick and coat with refractory mud; or as simple as you can knock holes in an old coffee can and coat with refractory mud.

I have done blacksmithing making knives in a hole dug into the ground rocks and mud, (for a furnace), using an air source to get coal hot enough, just for the fun of it with my nephews.

A search of back yard metal casting, homemade propane burner, and so on, for Idea’s, will open your possibility to building your own furnace.

For my furnaces I build welding is needed but if you make plans and gather materials a friend with tools or local welder can make the few welds needed.

Action mining sells a propane furnace similar to one of the style I build, but by golly I would not pay that for something I can stick together.

I have made electric furnaces but elements do not hold up to the gasses.

http://www.actionmining.com/Catalog.PDF

http://www.actionmining.com/

Latest posts

Back