Calcium Nitrate & straight battery acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Just a little note, I have been experimenting with different ways to make nitric without distillation.

My experiment tonight involved calcium nitrate and battery acid (not boiled down) right out of the box.

First attempt I dissolved the nitrate and added acid, I was trying to do drop by drop so I could quite adding the battery acid when no more reaction was observed - worked but the caso4 clogged the top of the test tube.

Next I crushed the prills of calcium nitrate and added directly to the battery acid, also instantly made caso4, but larger pieces that are settling
fairly well.

I think this could be filtered but I do not have filter material that would not be affected by the nitric.

Now, I have some questions - battery acid about 30 percent, would my nitric be the same or would it be higher since I get 2 nitric for each sulfuric?

and if only 30 percent or less nitric could I filter it with a paper filter?

thanks

Jim

Edit - I should add that I at this time only need test tube quantities of nitric
and can wait for it to filter.

flash of insperation - centrifuge, man I can make one of them easy as pie.

James,

I routinely filter 35% nitric with regular coffee filters. Some caution might be in order as to disposal or storage of nitrated filters. Mine go into a stainless can for processing later.

Latest posts

Back