Can anyone tell me what this is?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpcp7208

I have a stock pot that consist mainly of Au, Pd and Ni. I have added some copper to it and when I checked it today these metal shards are appearing on the copper. I assumed that the Au and Pd would appear in a fine black powder. Can anyone tell me what this is?

Attachments

• 20210620_234753.jpg
    20210620_234753.jpg
    2.3 MB
You need to test your material.
We can not preform any of the recommended systems of testing through photography.
Working out what you have is the fundamental deductive puzzle that makes this activity so interesting to pursue.
A new puzzle every day to solve and get paid for doing it.
Who could ask for more.

More then likely what you are seeing is the Pd (as well as gold)

Unlike gold & silver which tends to fall off the copper during cementing Pd tends to make a tight bond on the copper

In fact - the Pd can bond so tight on the copper that it will stop the cementing process

in other words - once the Pd makes a tight bond coating on the copper - the Pd coating on the copper "may" prevent all the Pd from cementing out from the solution

In order to prevent that from happening you need to have "aggressive" agitation of the solution to prevent the Pd from bonding to the copper

Are you running an air bubbler to provide the agitation during the cementing process :?:

The agitation NEEDS to be VERY aggressive :!:

Read this thread (all of it)

:arrow: Fuzz Button Interconnects, need some advice

As well as what I posted here

:arrow: Cement

Kurt

Latest posts

Back