can some one please tell me what am i doing wrong.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spawn007

i've seen how to refining gold video through youtube over and over and i thight i would give it try. so i had collecter 4 motherboard and 12 cell phones to start the project. at first, i started 2 motherboards and 6 cell phone boads as i seen in the video. i had made aqua regia by 1:3 ratio of mixture which 1 part nitrate acid and 3 parts hydrochoric acid and let all the gold dissolved in the solution. after 30 minutes or so, there were no more reactions in the solution and i've filtered solution, but unlike in the videos, my solution turn out dark green. i didn't think too much of it and added smb ( sodium metabisulfite ). first soultion were bubbling up like sugar in the soda but no color changes of solution. so i added and added smb to see any changes and ended up adding a lot like over 100g. after a while i seen powers sink in bottem and thought thats the gold, but color of powers were gray at first then when it was dried it turn green. secon try yesterday, same as before solution turn out deep dark green and this time i added small amount of smb and let it set for 12 hours, seen powers in the bottem so collected and washed with distilled water for 5 times. at first powers were gray and around 3rd time of washing powers color changed to dark golden color. i thought that was it and i wasn't sure how that happened since i hadn't done much different as first time. i was so happy for while that was until i added hydrochoric acid to make sure color of power would stay same. when i added hydrochoric acid to powers, it turn almost black and some powers dissolved and what didn't, turn back to gray. it's been just about 5 days i had started this and i am not sure where my gold is and what am i doing wrong. so far, i ended up with 5 gallons of mixed solution and none gold powers. could someone help me recover gold from it and what am i doing wrong..
Thank you guys!

ok make things clear
this is what i had done.
1. mixed aqua regia by 1 part nitate acid and 3 parts of hydrochloric acid 32%.
2. i heated solution med. heat and waited until all gold was dissolved.
3. put the coffee pot into ice bath and cooled solution until it became cold.
4. added 2 spoons of smb waited 12 hours at frist.
4. collected gray powers from solution not adding anyting to solution.
5. added more smb to remaining solution.
6. got more gray powers and washed off with distilled water for 5 times and it turn to golden color.
7. from golden color, it turning back to green.
but when i tested solution, it still has gold. i made stannous chloride by usind 60/40 solder lead and 32% hydrochloric acid.
i really like to learn how to do gold refining it ream means lot to me to learn. i went around 2 weeks just get everything from hydrochloric acid to nitrate acide and smb. here in philippines, it's not easy to find everything like i was in U.S. to find stump out, forget it. they have round up and when i call 15 companies, none had heard of stump out and to get hydrochloric acid, you can only get 4 liters a month. i really do miss states...
guys pls help me.
waiting for anyone to reply....

Attachments

• 2012-07-02 23.05.29.jpg
    2012-07-02 23.05.29.jpg
    423 KB
  • 2012-07-02 23.14.43.jpg
    2012-07-02 23.14.43.jpg
    409 KB
  • 2012-07-02 23.16.47.jpg
    2012-07-02 23.16.47.jpg
    448.9 KB
  • 2012-07-02 23.15.47.jpg
    2012-07-02 23.15.47.jpg
    344.4 KB
what am i doing wrong..

Everything! Forget You-Tube. Most of it's mis-information. If you really want to be successful it takes more than watching a video. You need to research and study the information on this wonderful forum. It takes time and work to properly recover and refine gold. There are no get rich quick schemes. Also the chemicals that you are dealing with can be very deadly if handled improperly. Either commit yourself or forget it!

The first thing you need to do is forget everything that you 'learnt' on that video you watched.
Refining isn't a case of dump everything into aqua regia and hey presto out pops a gold bar.
The way I see it you need to do at least a two stage process, first is the recovery of any gold on your boards, second is dissolving the gold and precipitating it or refining it.
You have much reading and learning ahead of you so my suggestion is to safely neutralise any waste solutions you have on hand at the moment so that they can be stored until you have aquired the knowledge to deal with them in the future.
Everything you will need to know has been discussed repeatly on the forums, using the search function (top right of your screen) will give you access to the info.
Get yourself a copy of Hoke's book (available as a free download from many members signature lines or the book section) and read it until you understand what it is teaching you.
The guided tour and safety sections of the forum are also a 'must read' before you play with any chemicals again, not only to protect you but those people around you, your loved ones and neighbours and to protect the enviroment.
This may sound negative to the new comer, but your own research will teach you far better than any member handing you a list of instructions as to what to do.

Edited to acknowledge that Maynmann1751 posted his reply while I was typing mine.
Maynmanns comments may appear harsh but the message is correct, you need to apply yourself to learning the processes or forget about getting involved in the science of refining.

martyn111 said:
The first thing you need to do is forget everything that you 'learnt' on that video you watched.
Refining isn't a case of dump everything into aqua regia and hey presto out pops a gold bar.
The way I see it you need to do at least a two stage process, first is the recovery of any gold on your boards, second is dissolving the gold and precipitating it or refining it.
You have much reading and learning ahead of you so my suggestion is to safely neutralise any waste solutions you have on hand at the moment so that they can be stored until you have aquired the knowledge to deal with them in the future.
Everything you will need to know has been discussed repeatly on the forums, using the search function (top right of your screen) will give you access to the info.
Get yourself a copy of Hoke's book (available as a free download from many members signature lines or the book section) and read it until you understand what it is teaching you.
The guided tour and safety sections of the forum are also a 'must read' before you play with any chemicals again, not only to protect you but those people around you, your loved ones and neighbours and to protect the enviroment.
This may sound negative to the new comer, but your own research will teach you far better than any member handing you a list of instructions as to what to do.

Edited to acknowledge that Maynmann1751 posted his reply while I was typing mine.
Maynmanns comments may appear harsh but the message is correct, you need to apply yourself to learning the processes or forget about getting involved in the science of refining.

not at all i am greatful! i am willing to learn and whatever it takes!
as far as being safe, i done my best! not only me but people around me and all the solutions, i still have it in 5 gallon bucket. i didn't dump everything in aqua regia but only pins and cpu as well as cell phone boards. i am not trying to argue but trying to understand and not asking for hand out. all i am asking is help me get to where you guys at. i am sure you guys had help of one form or another right? thats all i am asking...
thank you!

spawn007 said:
i didn't dump everything in aqua regia but only pins and cpu as well as cell phone boards. i am not trying to argue but trying to understand and not asking for hand out. all i am asking is help me get to where you guys at. i am sure you guys had help of one form or another right? thats all i am asking...
thank you!

A couple of pointers for you.
Using the search function type in 'Pins in AP' (acid / peroxide)
This will lead you to the correct way to recover the gold from the pins without dissolving the gold.

Also have a search for the 'sulphuric cell' another method for recovering gold from pins or any gold plated items. Lasersteves website shows a video of the sulphuric cell in action, while you are on his website take a look at his other videos as all of them are very informative.

Sometimes I do come across as very direct, I don't do that to be confrontational and don't mean to offend anyone, so welcome to the forum and a whole new world of learning.

samuel-a said:
spawn007

May you share which videos contained these instructions?

hello sam!!
most video i've watced was goldnscrap.com....
i've watched past 2 weeks same video over and over.the only thing i hadn't used was sulfuric acid but then again SMB will precipitate the gold only, but not without a slight drag down of other metals right? well i haven't seen any gold yet but green damn thing.
i am trying to learn and it's now 1:12 am and i am reading Hokes book to learn more...
vedios of scrap ceramic cpu 1,2,3 and few other videos..

martyn111 said:
spawn007 said:
i didn't dump everything in aqua regia but only pins and cpu as well as cell phone boards. i am not trying to argue but trying to understand and not asking for hand out. all i am asking is help me get to where you guys at. i am sure you guys had help of one form or another right? thats all i am asking...
thank you!

A couple of pointers for you.
Using the search function type in 'Pins in AP' (acid / peroxide)
This will lead you to the correct way to recover the gold from the pins without dissolving the gold.

Also have a search for the 'sulphuric cell' another method for recovering gold from pins or any gold plated items. Lasersteves website shows a video of the sulphuric cell in action, while you are on his website take a look at his other videos as all of them are very informative.

Sometimes I do come across as very direct, I don't do that to be confrontational and don't mean to offend anyone, so welcome to the forum and a whole new world of learning.
hello again martyn111!
thank you so much!!! i really am so as maynman1751!
you guys told me to look up hokes' book and i am reading it. i am not new to gold and diamon but new to refining. i been dealing with gold and diamons for years but yet never know anything of refining. i am all open and to learn. what it takes, i be there. talk to talk and walk to walk right? thank you so much to let me know i am not alone and i can still get help from people! i am so greatful to you guys! i will study the book and keep let you know what happens.. any other tips you guys can give me, don't let it stop you!
thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

Once you read Hoke's book and understand it, reading and understanding past posts on the forum will become so much easier simply because we have all been advised to read it and we all tend to use the same 'language' that was used by Hoke.Also any problems that you encounter while you are studying and you simply cannot find the answer, you will be in a better position to explain your difficulty to the forum which helps everyone to supply you with either the answer to the problem or a pointer to where you may be able to study past posts that will explain in clear detail whatever it is that you are struggling with.
Self learning is the approach that is encouraged here, but help is at hand as long as you have shown (by the way you word your questions) that you have put the effort in to try to learn.

martyn111 said:
Once you read Hoke's book and understand it, reading and understanding past posts on the forum will become so much easier simply because we have all been advised to read it and we all tend to use the same 'language' that was used by Hoke.Also any problems that you encounter while you are studying and you simply cannot find the answer, you will be in a better position to explain your difficulty to the forum which helps everyone to supply you with either the answer to the problem or a pointer to where you may be able to study past posts that will explain in clear detail whatever it is that you are struggling with.
Self learning is the approach that is encouraged here, but help is at hand as long as you have shown (by the way you word your questions) that you have put the effort in to try to learn.

thank you so much! i am still reading the book and checking on time to times! yes i do agree that i have to be on same page with you guys on some point. you could say that i am just baby but willing to grow... i may not reply you again this morning! yes it is already 1:50 am and i am still reading. i may fall sleep reading the book. you know what the funny thing is, i don't even know anymore that i am used to acid or just crazy! tonight while i was making tester, the pot busted and i was covered with acid. of course i washed it off right away.. but my point is i am going through most people wouldn't and i am still going forward. i love it really i do. even it gives me headache time to times, i keep findinding myselfe going back and see the golden powers. i am not gold crazy don't give me wrong but i want to see the end. to see and know new skill. keep in touch and don't stop giving me your pointers!
thanks so much!!! i really mean that!

spawn007 said:
samuel-a said:
spawn007

hello sam!!
i've watched past 2 weeks same video over and over.the only thing i hadn't used was sulfuric acid but then again SMB will precipitate the gold only, but not without a slight drag down of other metals right? well i haven't seen any gold yet but green damn thing.
i am trying to learn and it's now 1:12 am and i am reading Hokes book to learn more...

I thought that's the case.

Though, i have to wonder, what led you to conclude that this is the process you should take:
spawn007 said:
6. got more gray powers and washed off with distilled water for 5 times and it turn to golden color.
7. from golden color, it turning back to green

The thing is, i have never suggested any process of that nature (pre mix AR, processing full boards etc'...) nither in my site or my videos.
So i must wonder, since i know i have never explicitly suggested this, maybe my videos imply that when watched and maybe taken out of context?

samuel-a said:
spawn007 said:
samuel-a said:
spawn007

hello sam!!

I thought that's the case.

Though, i have to wonder, what led you to conclude that this is the process you should take:
spawn007 said:
7. from golden color, it turning back to green

The thing is, i have never suggested any process of that nature (pre mix AR, processing full boards etc'...) nither in my site or my videos.
So i must wonder, since i know i have never explicitly suggested this, maybe my videos imply that when watched and maybe taken out of context?

oh come on sam! your video tells humm how we say jump and jupm... never really show step by steps. yeah maybe for someone who been doing that for long times but you have to think sam, your video can really confuse people.
honestly, i had fallowed everything you said in video.. wait you don't say anything i forgot but in words. anyway i did and your video shows your solutions never becoming dark green and you said that maybe be cus of copper, are you kidding me, you want to put up video, please make it step by steps and let people learn. not jump and jump. taken out of context, hummm... let me see.... yeah cus your video took things out of context and don't explain. like your vedio tells people to go to store then saying well i got this stuff from store... hummm what stuffs? you don't say but we have to know.. look i think you for making me going watching your videos and yeah i am lost but i will get back on my feet and on the road. you are my start and i have some helping hand, i am on my way..... sam, if you are going to teach someone, teach right. if you want to show yourself off, then say hey look what i can do. sorry for saying such but thats how i feel! i thought you were teacher but found myselfe lost then ever until tonight. sam i am not new to gold but new to refinding. anyway, think you!

no you haven't and i din't soak full board. i did it with pins and cpus then cell phone boards. in both solutions came out dark green after aqua regia. what you said on youtoub? "This process is best done with ceramic cpu's only". why you din't said in the videos? most people watch first and read later sam...if i ever open about what i know, i will let people walk on right path not saying what you telling me. i showed and teach one of my friend who want to learn how to see diamon, i showed him hot to see it by step by step. for color and cut to the weight. sam please don't let people get lost but show them right ways.
tomorrow is another day for some to give up and some to go forwars! for me, tomorrow is another day to smell the acid and get burn as well as time to times can't breath. even with damn mask.. if you ever wondering what i do for living, i am vice president of one of construction company in philippines but i am american!

sam,
please don't think me of stupid. to let you know, you got me start this and i am not looking back and want to learn more and go forwards! it's 4:10 am and i am still awake and studying, but i have to crash few hours....
just to say that you are my fist teacher who got me started but i must move on and find another teacher who can get me going to the end!

Attachments

• 2012-07-03 03.51.17.jpg
    2012-07-03 03.51.17.jpg
    741.7 KB
oh come on sam! your video tells humm how we say jump and jupm... never really show step by steps. yeah maybe for someone who been doing that for long times but you have to think sam, your video can really confuse people.
honestly, i had fallowed everything you said in video.. wait you don't say anything i forgot but in words. anyway i did and your video shows your solutions never becoming dark green and you said that maybe be cus of copper, are you kidding me, you want to put up video, please make it step by steps and let people learn. not jump and jump. taken out of context, hummm... let me see.... yeah cus your video took things out of context and don't explain. like your vedio tells people to go to store then saying well i got this stuff from store... hummm what stuffs? you don't say but we have to know.. look i think you for making me going watching your videos and yeah i am lost but i will get back on my feet and on the road. you are my start and i have some helping hand, i am on my way..... sam, if you are going to teach someone, teach right. if you want to show yourself off, then say hey look what i can do. sorry for saying such but thats how i feel! i thought you were teacher but found myselfe lost then ever until tonight. sam i am not new to gold but new to refinding. anyway, think you!

no you haven't and i din't soak full board. i did it with pins and cpus then cell phone boards. in both solutions came out dark green after aqua regia. what you said on youtoub? "This process is best done with ceramic cpu's only". why you din't said in the videos? most people watch first and read later sam...if i ever open about what i know, i will let people walk on right path not saying what you telling me. i showed and teach one of my friend who want to learn how to see diamon, i showed him hot to see it by step by step. for color and cut to the weight. sam please don't let people get lost but show them right ways.
tomorrow is another day for some to give up and some to go forwars! for me, tomorrow is another day to smell the acid and get burn as well as time to times can't breath. even with damn mask.. if you ever wondering what i do for living, i am vice president of one of construction company in philippines but i am american!

sam,
please don't think me of stupid. to let you know, you got me start this and i am not looking back and want to learn more and go forwards! it's 4:10 am and i am still awake and studying, but i have to crash few hours....
just to say that you are my fist teacher who got me started but i must move on and find another teacher who can get me going to the end!

Well.................. :shock:

The reason i asked you what i did, was to see if i can improve. My intentions is not to mislead anyone. By the contrary. If it did happened, i can assure you it's not made deliberately and i will try to figure out what i did wrong and how could i fix it.

Now, i really don't mind the trash talk about me, my videos or my website by you or others, but please don't put words in my mouth.
I have never called you stupid or said anything to make you perceived as such.

You will also come to learn that the entitlement attitude doesn't really fly around here...

With that said, i wish you good luck finding a new teacher.

samuel-a said:

sam,

Well.................. :shock:

The reason i asked you what i did, was to see if i can improve. My intentions is not to mislead anyone. By the contrary. If it did happened, i can assure you it's not made deliberately and i will try to figure out what i did wrong and how could i fix it.

Now, i really don't mind the trash talk about me, my videos or my website by you or others, but please don't put words in my mouth.
I have never called you stupid or said anything to make you perceived as such.

You will also come to learn that the entitlement attitude doesn't really fly around here...

With that said, i wish you good luck finding a new teacher.

don't give me wrong sam!
i wasn't so much of trash talking to you and if ever you felt that way of what i said, i am sorry! i still do watch your videos even as we speak. i just hope that theres much more you can explain. at the same times if you do, it won't be too much fun for people to learn i guess no charanges and no more digging around. i just have to learn more and perhaps then i may see your video and say "yeah that was the way". i am glad that people like yourself is round to help others...
hey even in future, i may ask you questions, and when i do, please help me out ok. don't act like you don't know me ha ha ha...
anyway, thank you and keep doing what you do best!!!!
see and talk to you around!

You mixed different types of material. It is recommended not to mix different types and when you will read forum longer you will find appropriate processes for any given type of material.

You did not treated base metals first. You dissolved gold along with couple hundred times more of base metals like Cu, Ni, Fe, Sn, Pb....
Every time you will do that and attempt to precipitate gold it will drag down insane amounts of anything along with it.

Go through Guided tour on LazerSteve link and read C.M.Hoke book. That will help you.

Sam, I've watched your videos and understood them perfectly, but I have a working knowledge of processing. I suppose that it's possible for an untrained person to misread what you show. On the other hand, I don't think that someone without any previous experience in this field should attempt 'playing around' with dangerous chemicals. You're doing a great job with your videos and I would encourage you to continue. I quite sure that many people have benefited from your work and it is greatly appreciated. John.

P.S. Maybe you should put a warning that these processes should not be attempted by inexperienced individuals and could be hazardous to the untrained person.

Maynmans comments may appear harsh but the message is correct, you need to apply yourself to learning the processes or forget about getting involved in the science of refining.

Spawn, I didn't mean it to be harsh. It's just that unless you intend on giving this hobby your all, you will not succeed. You have been given some expert advice and I see that you are willing to learn. That's what we want to see and hear. Keep up your reading and studying and you'll be just fine. We all started the same way with no knowledge of refining. If you stumble, someone here will be there to help you as long as you show your willingness to learn and understand and are able to express yourself in an intelligent manner. Good Luck and welcome to the world of refining!

Sam,

I found early on when making videos that there will always be a few who for whatever reason don't understand the processes the way you intended. After getting consumer feedback on several of my videos via email questions, I soon realized that you have to spell everything out in vivid detail (filtering, colors, amounts, etc.) or a portion of your audience will try to skip steps and/or jam two steps into one. This is why in my videos I pay so much attention to detailing every little process. It's almost like some of the audience thinks the reaction only takes as long as what they see on the video.

I have to admit it's a fine line between being too granular and being too vague. I've had numerous people ask me about tiny details in my videos that I never even paid attention to when making the video. When making a DVD it's even harder as you have a finite disc size in which to fit everything you want to convey. One such example is in my Acid Peroxide video when I place a piece of sheet steel into the spent AP solution to cement out the copper. The shot only lasted a few seconds and was mentioned in passing, but I've gotten hundreds of emails on the fleeting scene.

For this reason I think it's best to provide a combination of written as well as video instructions.

Steve

patnor1011 said:
You mixed different types of material. It is recommended not to mix different types and when you will read forum longer you will find appropriate processes for any given type of material.

You did not treated base metals first. You dissolved gold along with couple hundred times more of base metals like Cu, Ni, Fe, Sn, Pb....
Every time you will do that and attempt to precipitate gold it will drag down insane amounts of anything along with it.

Go through Guided tour on LazerSteve link and read C.M.Hoke book. That will help you.

good afternoon patnor!
should i had said good evening!
yeeah you are right and now i do understand some of the ways. i been reading C.M.Hoke book over night and it really did opened up my eyes. i didn't know how important to treated base metals first since i heard smb will precipitate the gold only. so there goes my first mistake..... many mistakes to recover and i am sure in the end, i will get there see the gold and feel the joy.
thank you so much!

Latest posts

Back