Can you get 24k gold without using electrolysis?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w0lvez

I'm just wondering if it is possible to get 24k gold without using electrolysis? If the gold has only 95%-98% purity how many K will the test kit show? My test kit says it's 24k is it normal or my test kit not accurate? Does 24k gold means 99.9%? :cry: :?: :?: :?:

If you have a button or bar, just post a picture. You may get test results from the experts just looking at it.

Jim

It's a button, my problem is the accuracy of my Tester. I'm sure the button is not 99.9% but according to the Electronic Gold Tester it's 24k.

Wise people do not discuss pure gold in terms of karat. The measurement is too broad to be of any practical value, although, in jewelry, it would be an acceptable term---meaning that the gold is not intentionally alloyed---yet it may well not be 100%.

I'm at a loss to understand why you'd be testing with a tester if you have processed gold via commonly accepted methods. The color of the flux lining in the dish, the appearance of the surface of the melted gold, the pipe (or lack of) are great indicators of the purity. Any film that forms on the molten gold is proof positive of some contaminant-----failure to form a pipe is another---as is a frosted surface.

Lose the tester when it comes to pure gold. It's like using a yardstick when a micrometer is required.

Harold

Harold_V said:
It's like using a yardstick when a micrometer is required.
There is the machinist in you showing. :lol:

But I agree completely with your statement. Wrong tool for the job.

The problem with this electronic tester the values has gap 9, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, and 24K. It is also not brand new.
I think it's better not to buy it and I also don't need it anyway. I only got interested because the price is very cheap $50 :lol:

I think you missed the point. Even if it is a fine piece of equipment, it is made to determine at best a 2 karat difference in gold purity (1 part in 12), however you were asking about 99.9% (1 part in 1000).

You need the right tool for the job you wish to accomplish. Honestly I would never trust a tester like you have for even buying karat gold. Testing on the stone followed by a file is far more accurate.

Oz said:
Honestly I would never trust a tester like you have for even buying karat gold. Testing on the stone followed by a file is far more accurate.

I assumed that electronic is more accurate and reliable. Good for me that I first asked the experts before buying it. Thanks for the info. :lol:

Back