Cell getting hot fast

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrishawn

Hi everyone
Thanks for all advice or help with this problem
I have ran several pounds of pins over the past few weeks using 98% sulfuric, copper mesh basket and 4 amp battery charger with a 12v lamp in the positive terminal. Everything went fine as I ran the pins, after about 100-150 grams the cell would start to hit 100 degrees. I would shut it down for cooling and start my 2nd cell. So now my acid started getting hot 100 degrees+ in less than 2-3 min. I figured there was too much water in solution so I started with fresh acid out of the bottle and it is doing the same thing. I checked the volts going into the acid and my meter showed 2.65v and 1 amp so I don't think its the charger. Any ideas would be great
Thanks to all at the GRF
Shawn

I ran into the same problem last week.

Did you fold the copper mesh at the lip a few times where you connect the positive lead? If not, then that's most likely your problem. If it is folded, then there may be a problem with your charger.

Yes after decanting the acid from the mud. When I start the acid is around 85 degrees as soon as it hook it up the temp jumps to 97-98 degrees and I can not even run for 2-3 min before it hits 102-104. So I shut it down. Both of my used acids for the 2 cells and the fresh acid is doing it.

Here is some pics of the basket I had to pull out due to heat

Attachments

• PICT0340.JPG
    PICT0340.JPG
    1.8 MB
  • PICT0341.JPG
    PICT0341.JPG
    1.6 MB
What is the wattage of your bulb? Is that a 21W brake lamp or a 5W tail lamp?

Edit: Scratch that, you said you're getting 1 amp, so you must be using a brake lamp. Try a tail lamp bulb, which will limit the current to under half an amp.

I am using a 12.8v 26.9w bulb
Here is a few pics
I did look up the humidity and it is at 60% Could that affect fresh acid?

From the look of your basket, I think that's the problem. I fixed my overheating cell by folding the lip of the copper two times and crimped it good with my hands. From what I was told about my problem, which was dissolving my copper along with heating up my solution is that too much current was going down the basket at a high rate. By folding the basket two times and crimping/squeezing the folded pieces good, it limited the current to the cell and I was able to do hours worth of cell stripping with the power being shut off only to change the stripped material. During the whole time I was using the cell, I would occasionally touch the side of the cell and it was only lukewarm and never getting hot enough to be too hot to touch.

While others may not agree, but from the way I see your basket around the lip area, that appears to be your problem. I could be wrong, but it worked for me.

See the photo below for the sample basket. Pay close attention to the lip (top rim). It's folded twice, about 1/4" each time.

copper-01.jpg

What degrees? °C or °F? Some of us, I at least, use the alternative possiblities that seldomly, that we(I) need to look it up, what it means for us(me).

solar_plasma said:
What degrees? °C or °F? Some of us, I at least, use the alternative possiblities that seldomly, that we(I) need to look it up, what it means for us(me).
If it's "cool" at 85, it had better be °F.

Also, this. I do like that some wise guy has edited the label. :mrgreen:
C_F.jpg

Whatever, if anyone has a question, I don't want to check the plausibility first if it is celsius, fahrenheit, kelvin or bananas...my pupils get just 0 points each exercise they "forget" the unit - it's lazy and just a no go.

solar_plasma said:
Whatever, if anyone has a question, I don't want to check the plausibility first if it is celsius, fahrenheit, kelvin or bananas...my pupils get just 0 points each exercise they "forget" the unit - it's lazy and just a no go.

Do I detect that you may be a little vexed Bjorn? hehe :lol: :lol:

Maybe today I am just not as tolerant as I use to be :lol: I have to organize a class project (11-12 yo pupils) about recycling within 8 times 45min (90min are already gone with indroduction and collaborative dismantling of 2 PCs), that will end in an exhibition in front of 1600 pupils (7-19 years old) plus teachers. ... I am quite lucky I have almost everything at hand and know what and how to do 8) triple hooray on GRF

jason_recliner said:
solar_plasma said:
If it's "cool" at 85, it had better be °F.

Also, this. I do like that some wise guy has edited the label. :mrgreen:

Even the map is politically correct. :p

Thanks maynman
I did not know it could short out if it touches the bottom. I will try a different basket tonight.

Latest posts

Back