Cell Slime

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67eod

Hi,
I know most of you have watched Steve's cell post. My question is what is the best way to process the slime after you strip it out of the cell solution? I have tried both AR and HLC-clorex, and both are a mess to deal with. I may be doing something wrong any help is appericated.

Bob Noble

What type of cell, silver I assume? First off you should roast the slimes and crush them to a uniform small particle size. Then leach in HCl in an attempt to get rid of the HCl soluble base metals, then, after rinsing free of the chlorides, leach in a 50% nitric / DI water mix to get the silver out of it (Pd will go with the silver but that is OK for now.)

The remaining solids should now be clean enough to react freely with the aqua regia. Test for gold and drop it if it's there and then re-test looking for a Pt stain. If it shows Pt, cement it out and collect it until you have enough to process it.

Also you can cement out the silver and Pd or drop the Ag with chloride and reduce it with sugar and cement the Pd if any remains in the solution (DMG test)

Hi'
I was refering to the gold cell. When I use AR it is real messy. Thanks for the info on the silver cell. At the present I have about 2 gal's of silver cloride collected and would like to convert it, what would be the quickest way do do that?

Bob Noble :?:

I was refering to the gold cell. When I use AR it is real messy. Thanks for the info on the silver cell. At the present I have about 2 gal's of silver cloride collected and would like to convert it, what would be the quickest way do do that?

What do you mean by messy? If there's a lot of base metals or silver in it, you could first leach it hot with nitric, then filter and rinse and go into AR.

That's a lot of silver chloride. Is it dry?

Latest posts

Back