Ceramic CPU Question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eclipse2854

First of all glad I found this site. I'm new to this so please be patient with me if I ask stupid questions.

A total Newbie here ans this is my 1st attempt and have 3 questions that would help out greatly.

I've been collecting a bunch of ceramic CPU's and have a different types (Pentiums, 486, Cyrix, 386, Sun UltraSpacs)

1. With ones with the gold tops, can that be added into the AR mix or should they be processed separately?

2. I believe that the Sun UltraSprac CPU's only have gold on the pins. Is this true?

3. Since they are not soldered, should they just be broken and processed with the other processors?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum Eclipse! I'm afraid I don't have much experience with CPUs, so I'm not much help with which process may be the best for each type. AR isn't necessarily the best approach. Some of our other members may be able to suggest some threads that might be of help.

Dave

Likewise, I am not an expert on CPU's or other chips since I am starting on my first batch.

In my experience, every CPU I have seen has some gold on the pins. I have place several CPU's in my AP bucket with great results. The pins all came off as well as the gold plated (I think it's gold plated) cover piece. I found the cover pieces when I poured everything in my AP bucket into a filter. Also, it exposed a lot of the interconnecting wiring allowing a bunch of it wash off into the filter.

For a filter, I am using the 5 quart colander with black handles available at WalMart Stores only (Not online at the WalMart website). The colander is a bit pricey at almost $6.00 and comes in two colors that I am aware of, that being white and red. Into the colander I put a large Bunn coffee filter used for the catered party type urns. The filter paper fits the colander with a little sticking above the rim and the colander rests on the 2 soft handles over a 5 gallon bucket. A really nice setup in my mind.

I have put all my black chips and just 2 or 3 of my CPU chips into and old bucket of AP and aerated it. All the pins were consumed even by the old AP. I had a circuit board with a bunch of really odd ceramic IC's chips. They were the DIP chips with 16 pins which have me totally confused as to how I should process them. They have a deep purple top layer that looks like glass, a middle layer that is white in color and a bottom layer which is black in color. The bottom layer looks a little bit like most of the Integrated Circuits, but seems a little more shiny than most. The numbers on the top are as follows: JM38510/, under that is 30109BEA, and under that CGG, a triangle, then 989017 which could be a date code. They have a Motorola logo on them. Using small diagonal cutters, I split the top cover off of one of them. It broke off in two pieces. I doubt these chip could be incinerated. I suspect they would just melt down into a blob encapsulating everything inside. I was thinking of smashing them into a powder or very small pieces, or running them through an old hand cranked meat grinder. I am open to suggestions on this.

Latest posts

Back